Shrunk database size after 1.8 build 880 update

Hi,
Could there be an option to pre-populate the images in the database as before, instead of having to wait for an image to be dynamically downloaded when you select an artist.

I had no problem with the way that images were being managed before, I have a 1Gbps internet connection and plenty of available space on the SSD available for the Roon Core database.

I suspect the latency in the images being displayed is just the time for it to be served from the metadata database within your servers. It just reduces the slickness of the product when a new artist comes up and the picture is not there immediately.

I would prefer to have these pre-populated and not be dependent on the performance of cloud-based servers.

Yes, “you can’t please everyone”, but then again you changed something in this latest release without asking. If asked upfront, I would have indicated the pre-population option.

4 Likes

Yes they probably should have checked with you first :thinking:

2 Likes

User feedback is normally part of a software companies’ Product Management function, instead of a ‘we know best, we know what’s right for the user’ and ‘we understand how every user is using our product’, “We know what’s best, so we don’t need to take feedback from our user/customer base”

Personally I would love to return to the ‘old’ way of managing images. I appreciate this wouldn’t suit everybody but maybe a switch option between the two methods would allow everyone to use the method that best suited them.
My main reason for preferring the old way is that, unless I very slowly scroll through Artist and Album pages from beginning to end to allow images to populate, it’s not the snappy experience it once was.

Michael

2 Likes

I agree 100% with you on this.

1 Like

You are giving your feedback now. You generally don’t get to give it before the fact unless you are an employee or in some kind of alpha/beta programme.

The idea that Roon should check with you before they do anything is laughable.

1 Like

The change was driven I believe by huge numbers of users having slower connections, lower storage capability on devices and the constant synching for updates driven by having pictures etc updated all the time.
Especially with the increase of pictures due to the Valence change they would have been even more overwhelmed.
I would imagine roon look at the stats of complaints, only a proportion of which are on the group, and decide to change to lower the bandwidth and storage requirements for the greater good.

6 Likes

Please change this operation - the last 5 times I have opened Roon to play music, the music was selected and playing before the Artist and Album Artwork had loaded.
Or just the user the option of how it works - pre-populated or dynamically loaded.

With slower Internet connection, it would be more beneficial to have all of the pictures stored in the database like the old way rather than having them downloaded on the fly.

They can just be downloaded once sometimes in the beginning of the setup after the initial import process, which would probably take a while (depending on the number of albums), and then updated regularly if there are any update to the pictures.

I just feel everything is slower after update.
Takes few sec to 10s sec to load a album pic,
adding new album from tidal is not responsive,
click on the little pic on left bottom Conner shows the previous album instead of the song playing now.

I have to agree, this “on the fly” image loading has impacted the experience in a slightly negative way. I wonder what’s next? Will the rest of the Roon rich metadata experience also move to the cloud?

If the photo crowd sourcing works out, then I don’t see why Roon couldn’t experiment with meta-data in the same way. Especially Classical as a “toe in the water” test.

2 Likes