Hi, my name is Jim, and I am a shuffler.
I’d be ok with having the number of Plays shown on the Queue page, similar to a column that can be seen in the Tracks section. If the Last Played column would be shown as well, near total bliss would be achieved. If this same information could be shown on the section in the Queue where you thumbs Up/Down the next tracks to be played…I’d do some crazy, stupid dance. It would be nice to buzz through and build a quick queue with some fresh music at a glance.
Playing around with the Tracks focus area, I realized that at some point the duplicates that I have from Tidal and Qobuz are apparently no longer appearing, which is great. Before, I would just use Album to shuffle, as I only wanted to play the selected primary versions of the duplicated music. Before it seemed that Tracks matched the total number that was seen in Overview, but now the total number of tracks is much lower, which indicates to me that duplicates are not being counted, and hopefully only the primary version will be randomly picked in shuffle play.
I am currently shuffling Tracks with “-1000 Most Played” and “-Played in the last Year” selected as my Focus. Tracks available to shuffle are 26404 of 44660 with 60418 shown in Overview. There is a LOT of music I have available that is not being listened to, so this will help.
My general strategy with the streaming services has been to add only full albums, which makes things easier when moving from one service to another. Even a one-hit wonder sees the entire album added to my library, so I tend to have an unusually large amount of tracks that I have not heard too frequently, if at all. Been using streaming services going back to the early days of Rhapsody in 2004.
Focus is great, and it is helping a lot, but I really still want anything to randomly play at any moment, with a strong emphasis on rarely/never played music. I mean, if I set the Focus to play rare stuff, I know I will not hear some tune I’ve really enjoyed recently. I’m asking a lot, I know. Selecting a percentage of music to follow my Focus filters would be a solution. That way I could say that I want 75% of my music to be filtered using my Focus requirements, but the other 25% is just pure random selection based on the total number of available tracks. (of course, using only the primary versions where duplicates appear)