Signal path: bit depth and sample rate converted many times. Is it normal?

Hi Everyone,

I am a new roon user, nice to meet you all!

It is a while now I wanted to ask if this is all right but basically, when I click on the “light” showing the signal path and sound quality, it shows me a whole bunch of stuff (see attached image).

Is it normal for the signal to be processed this much? Why does it get upscaled and converted in different bit depths and rates so many times?

Thank you.

Try turning off volume levelling a see if it has made a difference.

The conversions happening before the signal is passed on to your endpoint are done in Roon and because you have applied volume leveling (in Roon). If you click on the purple text, it will explain why. Perfectly normal behaviour.

The last conversion is done by your endpoint (the Cambridge) and it appears you are upsampling.

Hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

4 Likes

As a fellow CXN V2 user I would recommend set the “Max bits per sample (PCM)” in the device setup fo the CNX V2 to 24bits. I know this shouldn’t make a difference but for me it does. The CXN V2 is 24/192 even though Roon sets it to 32bit per default.

2 Likes

As @RBO says, this is done because you have enabled volume levelling. Performing bit depth conversion ensures accuracy in the signal processing (note that these steps do not affect signal quality.) The CXN performs the final sample rate conversion.

1 Like

Needless to say, you can enable or disable volume control :slight_smile:

I always keep it on since I listen to a lot of Roon Radio and playlists. This ensure all tracks play pretty much at the same volume.

1 Like

Thanks to both @RBO and @iliketohideincloset for the info, now I better understand.
I think I turned on the volume leveling and forgot about it…

3 Likes

You are welcome. Time to enjoy the music :wink:

1 Like

You’re very welcome.

Why is your Cambridge upsampling?

PS: Welcome to the community!

I have no idea. Besides the volume control, I have never touched a thing in the settings (I hope! XD)

Oh ok. Thought you’ve set the Cambridge to upsample.

Maybe @iliketohideincloset can shed some light since he has the same model?

EDIT: Found this discussion on here and it looks like that’s how the Cambridge was designed - to upsample everything to 384.

3 Likes

My memory says that these Cambridge models automatically upsample?

5 Likes

As @AceRimmer said the CXN V2 when used as a network streamer does upsampling to 384kHz using their ATF2 technology… You can’t disable that feature. When you use the CXN V2 as a dac via usb it doesn’t. The dac part is 24/192kHz dual wolfson WM8740. By using it as a dac you are bypassing the upsampling stage.

3 Likes

What an unusual thing to do.

Cheers lads.

2 Likes

Totally agree!
Good that it can upsample, strange that you get no choice in the matter!

1 Like

While some may claim it is “unusual” or “strange” for the CXN v2 to upsample to 384, the procedure is well documented in the marketing material for the unit. Most reviewers seem to like it. I have no complaints.

CA have had their upsampling technology for years , the old DAC Magic 100 did it 10 yrs ago

It’s quite normal, it’s just odd that the CXN reports an internal process back to Roon

Normally you wouldn’t expect to see that upsample.

This has been discussed here many times

To clarify, what I mean is not that it is strange for the CXN to upsample but for it to upsample without giving the user ANY choice in the matter or options.

That to my mind is an unusual way to implement it.

YMMV

2 Likes

Isn’t that how all the current integrated HiFi audio DAC-chips work anyway?

The upsampling does not occur if using the CXN to pass the digital stream on to another DAC, it is only done when it is being used as the DAC and doing the conversion to analog.

From their website:

Upsampling only occurs when using analogue outputs as the process is implemented within the digital to analogue conversion process.

However, the CXN seems always report this upsampling to Roon whether it is doing so or not.

See this thread:

1 Like