Signal Path - Tidal MQA from 192/24 cut down to 96/24

Hello,

Just wondering why Roon cut down MQA 192/24 to 96/24 before sending it to the Linn Klimax DSM/3. As far as I know, the Linn Klimax can take 192/24.

Please see the attached image.

1 Like

As far as I can see, it’s not cutting anything down. It’s a 48khz file. Roon is doing the first unfold to 96khz. It’s up to do the hardware to a second unfold to 192khz if the dac supports it.

Does your dac support MQA? If so, you may want to check the settings of your device within Roon to make sure it is set to decoder + streamer under MQA

2 Likes

All Tidal MQA files are compressed to 48kHz, right? So when MQA says 192kHz, I would expect Roon to deliver it as 192/24 (as Audirvana does).

Software is only allowed by MQA to do the first unfold. Only the dac is able to do the second unfold. Have you checked whether your DAC supports MQA?

2 Likes

Not needed, Linn is MQA number #1 enemy, they said that on their website.
By the way, how does Audirvana unfold it to 192/24?

In that case the maximum you will get is 96khz. Not sure what audirvana is doing. How do you know you’re getting 192khz from them?

I know, because I checked via the Linn Kazoo (if you know Linn Audio).

I think you may be right, I will need to take a look more closely!

Right now, I am playing an Eagles MQA playlist on Audirvana, it says MQA 192/24, but Linn Kazoo reports 96/24.

Hello @QuinnT,

The MQA “Authentication” stage in Signal Path displays information about the MQA providence and MQA original sample rate of the file. It is not an indicator that anything is happening to the audio stream. “MQA Studio 192kHz” means that the file is a studio authored MQA file with an original sample rate of 192kHz.

In the next stage, we can see Roon’s MQA Core Decoder performing the first unfold to 24/96kHz. This is the highest possible sample rate for playback of MQA on non-MQA DACs.

-John

2 Likes

Thanks John, Nepherte, Jim_F.

Now I got it, it’s clear, I expected too much from Tidal MQA.

Case closed!

1 Like

Seeing how the original support issue has been solved. I am closing this thread.

4 Likes