Simple convolution advice xxx

I’m not sure there is anything that much simpler than REW. At the end of the day you need a calibrated mIc to produce a room impulse file that roon (or any other playback software) can interpret. There are several commercial products out there with slightly improved usability but they all seem to follow a similar process.

Maybe Dirac bundled with a hardware device from someone like miniDSP will simplify things enough but then you will start making an investment you are probably not ready for yet if you are just testing. Maybe others have other suggestions.

I don’t know if you saw this link? It does a very good job of explaining the REW process:

One thing that can further simplify the process is just taking one or two measurements at the listening position using the moving microphone method. Many convolution softwares require you to take multiple fixed measures (e.g. Dirac requires 9 or more) and that can be difficult without additional equipment like a microphone beam. This video starting at about 8.12 explains how to take measurements with a moving mic (literally waving the mic around).

Using this method REW will average dozens of measurements in a single pass so that multiple measurements converge. I did 120 averages as in the video for each speaker. Takes less than a minute for each speaker and I would say I had working convolution filters uploaded to roon in about 15 minutes or so. The end-to-end process does look very intimidating and complex but once you have done it once following the guide above you realise it is very straightforward. You will be glad you took the time. It has done wonders for my system taming an annoying bass boom on certain tracks and bringing mids and highs more forward in the mix.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Simple convolution advice