Simple convolution advice please

Hi there
I got a Umik-1 microphone a couple of days ago, I am starting the measurements this weekend. My computer cannot be directly connected to my speakers so I will need measurement files.
Can you please advice a link where I can download quality files for doing the measurements?
Thanks!

Edit: I found that in the latest version of REW, I can save Pink noise or Sweep sounds as Wav files so everything is good, I am set! Yesterday I tried a first convolution filter in Roon, I made everything very quickly just to have a quick first taste and I must admit it was very promising!

Best to all and happy new year

Do you have curtains in your listening room? The biggest improvement in sound quality in my listening room occurs when I shut the curtains - seriously! I am fairly happy with the SQ in general, I have a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 amp and have used the “Room Perfect” room correction system to achieve optimum listening conditions in my room, and use some Roon DSP settings as well. However when it comes to evening and the curtains are shut I swear it improves markedly. Maybe I’m more relaxed at that time, who knows, but definitely works for me!

1 Like

In a word
Acoustics

Well look what I have here
This room is weird. I don’t understand why the low frequencies are measured so high
 And why the high frequencies seem so low. I have a dozen of measurements that show the same curve using a Pink noise from REW.
And when I apply a filter to this strange curve (using for example Harman’s preferred curve or even a flat curve) the bass is sooooo highly cut

You need to measure with sweep file not pink noise.
Pink noise is only useful with RTA (prefer Pink Noise PN).

1 Like

Yes I am doing the measurement with the moving mic method using RTA
Did not find Pink noise PN per se, in the REW generator I found only:

• Pink random
  • Pink periodic
    What is the right sound I should use?
    Why we don’t do measurements with White noise?
    Thanks!

I’ll back this up and I spent more than I wanted to on really heavy curtains. I use a Dirac box but use four different measurement sets/ derived filters. I have single sweet spot and group listening (wider measurement area) each with curtains open and shut. Single sweet spot with curtains closed sounds best. The room with no curtains and no correction sounds truly terrible

2 Likes

Do you not see a “Pink PN” option like this?

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your help
I managed to find the Pink PN sound and created a nice Convolution filter. However after hours of sound processing I decided to leave the convolution filter: it causes a lot of clipping and I hate using more than 1 to 2dB of Headroom Management. I decided to buy carpets and curtains instead. I will see how the sound will be