Simplification everywhere

I use Grapholite.

Cheers, and then just import pics of all the equipment?

I use PowerPoint.
Import equipment pictures from Google Images.
It has useful functions for automatically align things.

Yes, import images to create stencilsā€¦

Thanks guys, I had it in my head that somebody had built an app that had all the images in already, a simple way of building these diagrams if you willā€¦

Guess Iā€™ll just have to do it the long wayā€¦

Apologies for taking this off topic btwā€¦

1 Like

Wanting a simple solution for something and finding out that it is never that wayā€¦ you are very much on topic!!! :grinning:

1 Like

I love the simplicity approach and I strive for it myself both to think twice before buying something that could be unnecessary and to avoid clutter. Though Iā€™m not that into headphones (yet, at least) other than for travel, office work and workouts. But that sea view photo with headphones looks amazing!

In my recent strive for simplicity I tried to subtract the preamplifier from my system and having the Chord DAVE feed the mono blocks directly. In theory thatā€™s supposedly an excellent idea and from what Iā€™ve heard Rob Watts saying it would give a more fast paced and immediate sound. Unfortunately that immediately was disproven in my case, the sound sure did change ā€“ but it was 1/5 better and 4/5 worse.

Iā€™m still happy to ā€œonlyā€ having five things in my living room feeding my speakers. Soon placed on and under a nice oak coffee table by a danish designer. Making the gear less intimidating and hifi oriented ā€“ more in line with a casual life that celebrates the love of music!

1 Like

Which power amps?

Robā€™s upcoming digital power amps are optimised to connect direct to Dave :wink: No timeline but the guesses are next year

Grandinote, an Italian brand designing amplifiers in a different, and from what I understand, very unique way. I had tube power amplifiers from Nagra before, and demoed quite a few brands before picking Grandinote as replacement. Recommended if you get a chance to listen somewhere!

Appreciated but will definitely be waiting for Robā€™s matching digital power amps :wink:

Grandinote gets a :+1: from me too! They sound really, really good and way more powerful than what you might think!

1 Like

Me too, Iā€™m really hoping to be able to give them a go in my system and hear the difference and decide if I prefer them over the Grandinotes. If the DAVE had sounded superior to my Domino preamp I would be first in line to order the new Chord amplifiers. Now I hope my dealer gets a pair and can lend me so I can try without buying :sweat_smile:

Yeah, the wattage is not that high but they play with more grunt and agility than my Nagra VPA. Very lovable!

Hehe noted. Btw the recently Munich Show announced Chord amp isnā€™t Robā€™s designed digital amp. Thatā€™s still a while away.

Ah! I thought they were the same. Gives me more time to breathe and not thinking about any upgrade path anytime soon :ok_hand:t3: More simplification and enjoying what I got.

Hehe agreed.

Btw no, Rob had no input into the design of Chordā€™s Etude power amp - thatā€™s a John Franks design. Iā€™m sure it will be great but Robā€™s digital power amps will be optimized for connection with Dave (and Hugo TT2) so thatā€™s the one to wait for.

Thatā€™s why I went DCC :slight_smile: Loved the logic behind it, but of course Phillips underestimated the power of gadget vs logicā€¦ Gadget wins as this forum somehow seems to prove. And I cannot disagree either haha. Love the gadgets only to realise Iā€™m the only one able to use most.
On the topic of simplificationā€¦ I like it so that the family can use the system as wellā€¦ andā€¦ nowadays with Roon, I can turn on my system (Devialet) simply by pressing playā€¦thats a nifty little feature. Of course the ROON systems is always on alreadyā€¦ ROON running on micro pc, any tablet as remote, amp, speakersā€¦ Doesnā€™t get much simpler I thinkā€¦

OMG DCC! Iā€™d forgotten. I still have some of the cassettes somewhere. No player anymore, though - I had bought the Radio Shack version when the price went below $250 but it was the first to go when wife acceptance factor became an issue.

On the topic of simplification, I have it set up in our house that thereā€™s a little audio system/analog mixing studio with a few 1/4" and miniplug inputs available into the 4 channel analog mixer. The kids can go there and plug in and listen to their Roon zone, or FL studio and their loops, Youtube, or Fortnite, or mix it all together including a Casio keyboard and electronic drum set. OK so itā€™s not simple but itā€™s simple for the kids to plug in and play around.

Oh yeahā€¦ 2 x 9 digital tracks on a cassetteā€¦ crazy cleverā€¦and not sexy at all hahahaha. Last mobile player died on meā€¦ had to let it go :nerd_face:

And noā€¦not a very simplified setup :joy::joy::joy:, but ā€¦ when its used thats all that matters

I love the Chord Hugo, both for its ultimate sound quality and for its portability. But somebody (@RBM?) mentioned choosing a Dragonfly Red for the same benefits. And it is quite a bit smaller and easier to walk around with.

So I got one, to see what itā€™s like to live with. And itā€™s great. Does an excellent job on the sound. And itā€™s small and portable.

It wonā€™t replace the Hugo for serious listening. But I bet that it will get a lot of hours.

And note, I use it with the Audeze LCD-4z cans. The new, easier to drive version. But still impressive, between the two companies.