Simplification everywhere

Check out http://draw.io

That would have been me indeed. If I would have known you’d rush out and get one, I would have chosen my words more carefully. :stuck_out_tongue:

In all seriousness – I continue to be impressed by the DragonFly. Compared to the Prime it loses some definition down below, the soundstage is a wee bit smaller and it is not as tight in busy passages, but it has a very musical sweetness over it and drives my Aeons with ease.

I guess it’s the same as when using Safari on an iPhone: the small screen is acceptable because it’s the only one available at that time. I enjoy the iOS/DFR/Aeon combo a lot when out and about, travelling, on holiday, at the rooftop terrace or when writing at the kitchen table – all the places I would otherwise not have quality music reproduction.

While in my listening spot the big rig is doing just fine. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, be careful with what you say, I’m very suggestible.

2 Likes

For some time, when most of my hifi gear was being replaced I used the DragonFly as DAC for my main system while waiting for the DAVE to arrive. Even today I’m impressed that it managed so well those couple of months! As a bonus I now have an excellent and portable dac on the go for my phone and laptop.

I’m looking at the Grandinote Volta. Did a search in the community website and came across this thread. Checked the heading and figured as far as simplicity is concerned, this beast does a fine job. http://www.grandinote.it/volta%20-%20en.html
Did very well at Munich,http://www.berita.win/video/high+end+2018+munich+-+grandinote+-+the+best+sound+at+the+moc!+luna+cables+-aktyna/-jEWM06UeGw Aussie distribution now. No affiliation, but one chap selling them here is a very reputable speaker maker and says he has heard nothing like it. Ticks a lot of boxes.

I have not had the pleasure to hear any “digital” gear from Grandinote yet, so I would be very interested in hearing your impressions! Does it support Roon in any way? (Can’t find that info and I’m sure Grandinote is not on the supported list?)

I’m, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a happy owner of Grandinote amplifiers. I switched from Nagra VPA to the Grandinote combination of amps. I really liked the Nagras but was blown away by the sound presentation that Grandinote provided. Unlike any other amp without feeling saturated or coloured in any way. Simply amazing. If you get a chance to audition the Volta please write! :ok_hand:t3:

Yep, going for a listen next week. No Roon support as far as I am aware but streams tidal and will access the same nas as your Roon library. Like that UHD video streaming ability. Guess you can add a Roon end point if you like via the USB in. Looking forward to having a listen.

Spending the last week of summer holiday in our favourite cottage-by-the sea (poor, poor pitiful me) facilitates the quest for simplification quite nicely.

I took with me my MacBook, along with a small LaCie Rugged external drive that autosyncs my music whenever I plug it into my NAS. Restored a backup from my main system and was up and running in minutes.

At home I have a Bluesound Pulse 2 in the bedroom, playing every now and then at ridiculously low volumes. Again within minutes, it was setup to the local WiFi and playing from the Roon Core. In the cottage it plays as our main audio system – every year I am surprised at how it punches above its weight.

For private and outside listening the iPad Pro / CCK3 / DragonFly Red / Aeon headphone setup is playing as well as ever.

I could live like this.

It doesn’t take a boatload of gear to be rich, it appears.

5 Likes

The Pulse 2 is amazing and easy to live with. As you say, punches well above its weight…

I wonder who that could be :thinking:

PS - loving my ML5 Ref’s :heart_eyes:

PPS - simplification in my system: Antipodes CX - Roon - Devialet 1000Pro - ML5 Ref Speakers = SQ Magic :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: