Since latest 1.5 update, anyone else getting intermittent pops and clicks randomly on tracks intermittently?

I’m not sure why this is occurring, but nothing has changed on my end except for some windows 10 updates and the latest iteration of ROON 1.5. I have a dedicated fanless Roon PC running the latest version of Windows with all updates applied. This is difficult to isolate a cause. I am really just wondering if other people had even noticed this as well because it never used to happen prior to the 1.5 update. My system is an I7 latest generation Intel processor and I use a Samsung 960Pro 512gb NVME M.2 drive. The music is on a 3.5" 7200 RPM Seagate 8TB drive via SATA III. I have plenty of horsepower to process music at 192/24 resampled in ROON. I can stream music videos via Youtube with no issues to my DAC, but when I use Roon it develops a clicking sound sometimes with a cadence at times and sometimes just randomly and it’s an intermittent problem. Sometimes it isn’t problematic for hours, but it returns eventually and then plagues me until I reboot the system.

Thanks for reaching out to us, @Wh01sjongalt!

Can you confirm what file types of media you are playing back when this occurs? We are currently investigating an issue that was reported here:

Does this sound like the same behavior that you are observing on your system?

Thank you,
Dylan

Hey Dylan, I saw that thread, but this seems to be happening on my Flac files. I’m pretty sure it happens on Tidal tracks too. It’s more noticeable on smaller quieter pieces because the clicks stand out better, but it’s not format related imho at least for me. I’ll pay attention to this going forward to see which tracks are affected specifically when it happens and report back.

Definitely happens on Flac files in my collection and in Tidal. Sometimes a click, or a momentary split-second dropout sound or maybe skip is a better word. It’s not always the same sound. Sometimes it’s a noisy crunch sound. It’s really annoying and distracting. I hope I’m not the only one having this issue because then I’m totally SOL.

Hi Jon,

A couple of quick questions.

Is the DAC attached directly to the Roonserver? And if so, how? i.e. USB, Coax, etc. And what DAC is it?

Or if it is over the network, what is the path and hardware from the Roonserver to the DAC, i.e.
Roonserver > Ethernet Cat 5e > Netgear Switch 105 > Ethernet Cat 5e > MicroRendu > Schiit Bifrost

USB connected directly to the Roon Server. The Benchmark DAC never indicates a drop via it’s lights

I purposely went this route to eliminate the flaky behavior I was getting running RoonServer over network to a 10G switch and a dell blade server with 30tb raid array running LINUX. I figured a simplified and direct approach would be warranted. I’m using a JCAT FEMTO USB CARD with a separate LPS to power the computer with clean power and the USB card has it’s ownLPS PSU as well. I even use a galvonic isolator made by an industrial company just to ensure no noise and crap infect the system and I use balance Isolation transformer by equitech from the wall.

Thanks for the info, @Wh01sjongalt, and apologies for the troubles.

So I can have a better idea of what may be happening, may I kindly ask that you please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

Can you confirm that this behavior is happening with all endpoints, or is this only happening with that specific DAC?

Since noticing this have you tried power cycling your Core machine and endpoint and see if there’s any change?

Thanks,
Dylan

My only end point in use is the Roon Server/DAC via USB, connected via a network switch to an Asus router. I power cycle the roon server which is the end point to attempt to make the issue go away, but it cones back everytime.

Thanks, @Wh01sjongalt!

Do you have any other endpoint available to test with? It would certainly be good to know if this is occuring with other zones or if it’s specific to this one.

Also, can you confirm the DAC is on the latest available firmware?

Can you share a screenshot of the signal path when playing to this endpoint?

-Dylan

3 posts were split to a new topic: Noise during playback with SMS 200

edited wrong tread