Since Roon v1.7 dropouts on Sonos devices

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC7I7BNH / ROCK (OS Version 1.0 (build 183) stable + Roon Server Version 1.7 (build 511) stable)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

LAN: Audio-devices are connected via Ethernet only, smartphone/tablet via WIFI 802.11ac, Router is a fritz.box 7490, provider Telekom Austria (40 Mbit download, 10 MBit upload)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Oppo UDP-203 (Ethernet/RAAT)
Marantz SR 8012 (Ethernet/Airplay)
Sonos 2xPlay 5 + Sub, 4xPlay 1, 2xOne (SonosNET/Sonos-Streaming)

Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)

Music-library on Synology NAS DS916+, connected via Ethernet, about 5600 tracks
Quobuz

Description Of Issue

Since Roon V.1.7 I encounter the issue that while playing music the playback has short dropouts, sometimes also the playback is missing tracks and skipping forward (like a needle on a vinyl record jumping due to scratches). Also gapless playback seems not be gapless sometimes (very short interruption between the tracks)

After some tests I have figured out that

• this issue seems only concern playback via Sonos speaker. Playback via RAAT or Airplay seems to work properly (also on the Play 5 when connecting via Airplay).
  • it seems to be independent whether playing files from my Synology-library or streaming via Quobuz.

As mentioned earlier this behaviour has started with Roon V.1.7, in version 1.6. there were no such problems

Thank you for your support.

Hi @mdajp,

Are you playing to all of these devices grouped? Does the same behavior occur if you play to a single Sonos Zone connected via Ethernet?

Hi Dylan,

thank you for your quick answer!

This behavior is indepent whether the zones are grouped. Indeed my favorite zone is the two Play 5 + Sub. One Play 5 is connected via Ethernet directly. I have tested to hear grouped as well as ungrouped - the issue is persisting.

Thanks for confirming, @mdajp!

I think the next step here is to enable some diagnostics on your account so our technical staff can get some more insight into what’s going on here.

However, before I enable this feature, I’d like to ask for your help ensuring we gather the right information.

First, can you please reproduce the issue once more by playing to the Play 5 (only this device not grouped) connected via Ethernet and note the time at which the error occurs as well as the name of the track that was playing. Then respond here with that time and track, and I’ll make sure we review the diagnostics related to that timestamp.

Hi Dylan,

ok, here we go.

The album is Gustav Mahler: Sinfonie Nr. 2 c-Moll

The first issue occured on 30.12.19 at 16:49:15 UTC+1 at end of track 2 (First Movement. Im Tempo nachgeben). It jumped directly to track 4 (First Movement. Sehr mässig und zurückhaltend) and skipped track 3. While playing track 4 the blue progress bar in the Android app was frozen and 2 further jumps/dropouts occured. I stopped listening at 16:53:30. I have attached a screenshot:

KR,
mdajp

Thanks, @mdajp!

Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hy Dylan,

thank you! I guess the diagnostic report should be transmitted.

KR,
mdajp

Hi @mdajp — I’ve sent you a PM

Hi dylan,

is there any update in this matter?

Thank you!

KR,
Martina

Hi @mdajp,

I’ve checked our internal tracker and confirmed that this is still with the team for investigation. I’ve messaged them asking for an update and will follow up as soon as I receive one from them. You have my apologies for the delay here.

Hi Dylan,

can you please provide an concrete update on this issue? I have addressed this now two months ago and I have not got any feedback/solution yet… I hope you understand that I’m getting a little bit impatient…

KR,
mdajp

Hi again, I just noticed the new release in Android app store and installed it. Seems that the issue has been fixed. :slight_smile:

Thank you!
mdajp

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.