Siri integration (Consolidated Requests: CarPlay, HomePod, etc)

It looks like the new iOS 12 Siri Shortcuts feature would provide a way for Siri to search and act on items in a local Roon library, using shortcuts provided by the Roon app. Some shortcuts that would really be useful for iPhone, iPad, and HomePod users include:

• Play [TRACK] in Roon
  • Play [ALBUM] in Roon
  • Play [ARTIST] in Roon
  • Play [RECORDING] in Roon

You can see some similar shortcuts for other music apps in the Siri Shortcuts Gallery.

8 Likes

Yes, Siri shortcuts would be really useful.

I’d vote first for pause, start, etc to stop/start the music and maybe volume control with your hands full. For me, browsing is done on screen although I could see myself starting a playlist with Siri.

1 Like

This would be a godsend, not just for the siri functionality, but for the potential automation capabilities.
One thing i woukd love to is when i get home is:
Group all zones
Set volumes
Start playlist

With just one touch or a siri command

I have been trying to achieve this with the roon API’s but I have no js scripting abilities, though im sure it would be possible.

I hadn’t even considered that use case. Good point!

I’m primarily interested in voice control.

Is this considered by Roon?

Has anyone got this working yet? I just started a 30 day Roon subscription running from my MacBook Pro, using a new iPad Pro as a remote. I do have it setup so I can control volume via the Remote app, but do not have it setup with Siri. That would be critical for me to make this work. Before I was just using iTunes on my MacBook Pro, with Siri setup and it was great.

3 Likes

In iOS 13, Apple is opening its Sirikit to 3rd party apps. Apps like Spotify, Pandora, etc will be able to use Siri to play music.

I would like to see Roon enable this functionality.

Scenario: I want to play the Beatles Let it Be. I activate Siri and say something like ‘Play the Beatles Let it Be on Roon.’

8 Likes

This would be incredibly valuable for the vision impaired.

1 Like

Hi, this has been addressed in the past, I believe the outcome was something along the lines of they have managed to get it working however the user experience wasn’t up to scratch.

I can control Roon to a degree with my Google home once I have started playback through a remote. Volume up/down and next track work fine.

similar to what @Paul_Whittaker mentioned, i have basic functionality (play, pause, mute) implemented via HomeAssistant and it’s HomeKit and Roon plugin - however the usability is very limited.

The difference now is that Apple will give app developers direct access to Siri so the results should be much better from a Ux perspective.

4 Likes

+1 on Feature request. I could get Siri working with Roon on few simple commands using http api extension, now this would bring a whole new dimension.

This is mostly for those who hadn’t heard about this, but it seems that thanks to European Union pressure, Apple is opening up the Homepod. This would mean that it’d conceivably be possible to do more than Airplay…

Remember guys: it might not be sexy, and it might be fun to moan about useless bureaucrats, but political pressure does work. So vote.

2 Likes

Would also hugely appreciate this!!!

So with Voice based Home Assistants becoming commonplace with Google Nest and now Apple HomeHub Mini, can we have Voice Assistant integration please

1 Like

As long as I’m dreaming, I’d like SIRI support even fairly basic support would be great like volume up/down, pause/stop/play. Maybe right after Airplay2 support but before Apple Music. :star_struck:. I can dream can’t I?

Hi All,

Just tried to play some music via Siri. I get the following response:

Roon hasn’t added support for that with Siri.

Begs the question, any plans for supporting this (apparently Apple added support for iOS and iPadOS from 14.4)?

play_x_on_roon

Unless Roon decides to design a native iOS / iPadOS App, this is never going to happen.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

So what am I running then? It has to be some form of a native app, maybe a wrapper. But native for sure, because there is no other way of getting app published.

Maybe they use some hybrid solution to push out Android and iOS apps, possible. Nevertheless, even within these platforms you can implement platform specific functions.

Pretty sure its

by „native“ I mean this is not an App specifically designed and developed for the iPlatform. You get the seme app framework wrapped into Android, iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux you name it.

This is why there are no iOS specific features such as pinch and zoom, Siri integration or any other features and amenities you might otherwise expect from iApps.