I have Linux (x64) Roon Server installed on my linux desktop. I use the Roon Remote app on my Samsung tablet to access Roon. I back up the database to two locations, every four days. Until last night, the most recent backups were on the order of 4G in size. Last night, at one of the locations, the directory shrank to 668M. When I forced a backup to that location again this morning, it was 841M. I don’t see any obvious evidence of things missing, based on what I see on my tablet. This is distressing … does anyone know what’s going on?
I just checked two recent backups and they are both 6+ GB for a library of around 40,000 tracks. Suggest you run a
du -sh for each folder and check available space on the drives. Don’t rely on these backups until you have a definitive answer.
du -sh 20190705/
du -sh 20190708
I am completely stymied. I am backing up daily, with a maximum of 10 backups to two locations, both of which have abundant disk space available. At Location 1, I continue to have what I’m confident is a complete backup:
paul@margay:Location1$ du -sh --time RoonBackups
4.5G 2019-07-10 05:01 RoonBackups
At Location 2, the backup directory is much smaller:
paul@margay:Location2$ du -sh --time RoonBackups
840M 2019-07-10 01:00 RoonBackups
If I manually force backups to any other location on the desktop or on an external hard disk mounted on the desktop, the size of the directory is on the order of 540M.
Is it something about how the backups accumulate over time? The size of the directory at Location 2 increased from 664M to 840M between 7/9 and 7/10, but that rate of increase would not bring it to 4.5G over ten days.
I could copy the full-sized directory from Location 1 to Location 2, and see how the size of the directory at Location 2 increases with subsequent backups, but I thought I would first see if anyone has any comments or suggestions.
I don’t think so. I’ve been rebuilding my server and core, so did these backups before and after the build. Looping in @support since something is awry here and they may have an idea.
Apologies for the slight delay in getting back to you here. Can you please provide some more information regarding these two storage locations? What kind of hard drives or NAS are they (model/manufacturer)?
It would also be useful to have the Roon logs from right after the smaller backup occurs, can I please ask you to reproduce this issue once more and note the exact local time in your country you run the backup to location #2 and then manually send me the logs from your Core by using these instructions?
LOCATION 1 is an external (USB) 2T HHD (Vendor “WD”, Model “WD My Passport 25E1”). LOCATION 2 is an internal 1T SSD6 NVMe (Vendor “Intel Corporation”, Model “Intel Disk”).
Here is the zipped directory of log files. The last backup to Location 1 (with a size of 4.7G) was at 0501 on July 11. The last backup to Location 2 (with a size of 841M) was at 0059 on July 11.
Thank you for sending those logs over, I have forwarded them to the QA team who can take a closer look. I will be sure to let you know once I hear back from QA, thanks in advance for your patience while this reaches their queue!
I just heard back from the QA team and they have noted that possibly something is influencing your backups on an OS level. We should next check to see what the behavior is like if you try restoring the backup from location #2. Can I please ask you to set your current database aside by using the following instructions and then attempt to restore the backup?
- Make a Backup of your current Roon Database
- Exit out of Roon
- Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location
- Find the folder that says “RoonServer”
- Rename the “RoonServer” folder to “RoonServer_old”
- Restart/Reinstall RoonServer to generate a new Roon database
- Try restoring the backup from location #2
- Confirm if it restores properly and the database appears intact or if you get an error message
- Manually send the logs from the Core again by using these instructions
At 1537 on 12 July, I forced a backup to Location 2, after which the ‘RoonBackups’ directory was 1.4G. At 1543, I reinstalled Roon Server x86_64 following the Easy Installer instructions at http://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall.
Using the Roon App on my tablet, I restored the database from Location 2, selecting the most recent date (12 July). There were no error messages, and the database appears to be complete. The logs are here.
You didn’t ask for this, but just for fun I forced a backup to a new location on the internal hard disk (distinct from Locations 1 and 2), and found that it had size 541M.