@support Would you mind to provide an update if this issue has meanwhile been resolved?
Roon showed a list of skipped files, which I have repaired where possible, respectively moved/deleted where not possible. Clicking “Refresh” does not seem to change anything in the “skipped files” list. A rescan of my music library also did not change anything.
Let’s wait for Support to give the definitive answer, but I notice for my Skipped Files list, that deleted files are correctly removed from the list when it is refreshed. However, files that get replaced with a new version do not get removed on a refresh. The workaround is to delete the old versions and then place the new versions into the folder.
Thank you @Geoff_Coupe - I have tested and can confirm the behaviour which you have described.
@support From my perspective, it would be beneficial to have those files removed from the “skipped files” list which have been replaced and were successfully reported. Otherwise, the information is outdated and misleading.
I’d like to recommend that the description for “Skipped Files” in the Roon Knowledge Base should be enhanced accordingly.
I wanted to touch base with some good news, which is that our technical team has been able to reproduce this behavior and we’ve opened up a bug report with our developers.
While I can’t say for certain when this bug will be fixed, getting things reproduced in-house is a critical first step, and I will keep this thread up to date as the team passes along feedback and work begins to get this resolved. Thanks again for the report!
you’re welcome - thank you for the internal reproduction and for logging the bug report!
Let’s keep our fingers crossed that this bug can be fixed with an upcoming release, from my perspective that should be rather simple to do. The background check for new files usually runs automatically, so the content of the current list of Skipped Files simply needs to be checked against the current library in the background and updated in case of changes.
I’d just like to add that I have this same bug. It’s not too awful, but it would be helpful to fix as it’s laborious to find the remaining broken files amongst the ones I’ve already sorted. Thanks!
This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.