Skipped Files on Re-install of Roon [Resolved]

@support

Setup is MacMini running Roon Server with music files stored on external DAS (Drobo 5D) and connected to Benchmark DAC2D. Access Roon via iMac and iPad. Running laters OSX and latest versions of Roon.

Recently transferred music library to a new and bigger external drive and took the opportunity to clean up the iTunes library on the MacMini (also runs movies as a well as music). In doing so did a complete reset of Roon and reimported the music library.

Found that a lot of the music was not imported and is being flagged in “Skipped Files” as “Audio Stream Not Supported”. The strange thing is that it appears to be whole artists that are affected. All the files play perfectly well in iTunes and all were previously in the Roon library before I reset - which suggests that it is not an audio format issue.

Files are a combination of 16/44 CD rips and 24/96/192 downloads.

As an example…

i) elbow / Starlings
/Volumes/Drobo5D/iTunes Media/Music/elbow/The Seldom Seen Kid/01 Starlings.m4a
kind : Apple Lossless
duration: 5.05
size: 24.9MB
bit rate: 666kbps
sample size: 16 bit
sample rate: 44 kHz
channels: Stereo
volume: -3.6 dB
encoded with: iTunes 9.0.1

Doing a force rescan does not help. Are the fact the files are now tagged as “skipped files” mean that Roon will ignore on future rescans, and if so is there anyway to clear this.

Any ideas gratefully accepted.

Thanks
Chris

Hi @Chris_Farnell ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us, both are appreciated!

Moving forward, to help me better understand what could be causing your media to land in “skipped files” after a change in storage location, could you provide the steps (procedurally speaking) on how you moved your library in relation to the steps found in our knowledge base.

-Eric

Hi Eric,

Basically, I transferred the library on iTunes in the MacMini (as there is more than just music) and then rebuilt the Roon library…

On the MacMini

• Added a new Drobo 5D DAS drive, changed iTunes libabry location to this and then re imported the previous library into iTunes. All files present and correct (and also the previous Roon library was fine)
  • took the opportunity to clean up the library - from iTunes - archived various replicate albums etc etc

On the iMac (Roon software)

• Per the instructions given on the site somewhere on reseting the library
  • Remove music location from settings / storage tab
  • In settings / library selected "clean up library)
  • add the storage location back to settings / storage tab

Roon then proceeded to re analyse the location and import files to library. Most imported fine, except these files flagged under “skipped files” (which were all present and correct in previous version)

Hi @Chris_Farnell ----- Thank you for touching base with me and providing the requested feedback. Both are very appreciated!

Moving forward, would it be possible for you to send me one of the tracks in question that are landing in “skipped files” with the mentioned, “Audio Stream Not Supported” message? A dropbox download link containing the content in a PM addressed to me, would be awesome. I will be on the look out for your follow up.

-Eric

Not sure how to send a PM, but here is the dropbox link to the file referenced above…

Hi @Chris_Farnell ---- Thank you for touching base with me! Unfortunately, I am unable to access the provided content for some reason :head_bandage:

Any chance you can re-supply in a PM? You can PM me by clicking on my name and selecting “message”. Example below :wink:

-Eric

Hi Eric,

I do not get the option to message when I click on the name - just see the “3 posts in topic” box…

Hi Chris,

I’ve investigated that and the lack of a Message button was because your account level here on the forum was still "New User I’ve just increased that to “Basic User” level. Could you try again please.

Thanks - that worked - message sent

2 Likes

Hi @Chris_Farnell ----- Thank you for the follow up and giving the upload another go, very appreciated!

Confirming that I have received the media, which is currently in my queue for testing. Once I have some feedback I will be sure to update you promptly. Thank you for your patience!

-Eric

Hi @Chris_Farnell ---- Thank you for your patience while the team has been conducting their investigation using the media provided to us. Apologies for the wait.

Moving forward, we were able to import the content on OSX, Win10, and Linux without issue. In light of this, our techs would like to have a closer look into this behavior by analyzing your logs. May I very kindly ask you to please perform the following:

1. Very Important - Launch the application (3x), confirming that Roon still has the content in the “Skipped Files” section indicating “Audio Stream Not Supported”.

2. Use the instructions found here to send us a set of your RoonServer logs.

-Eric

Thanks for the follow up and response.

Whilst you were testing, my Roon database seems to have corrected itself and most of the files that were in the Skipped Files listed are now imported. I believe this coincided with the last software update (but cannot be certain).

Currently there are only two albums in the Skipped File List - one due to “Audio Stream Format Not Supported” (Apple Lossless) and one due to “file Corrupt” (an MP3 album). Both of these are fairly old, obscure compilation albums so this may be genuine - I will delete and try re importing.

So bottomline is that database now seems to be all correct but not sure why ! Anyway, thanks for all the help.

1 Like