Skipping and Powerline Adapters

Do you have anything on that circuit that generates noise or interference? Audio is pretty lightweight as far a mbps goes.

A factory reset of the Powerline adapters couldn’t hurt. Here is a troubleshooting link from Netgear…

https://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1096

Cheers. Robert

I use powerline adapters and have one streamer and the core connecting to the NAS and another streamer on the other end - so everything but tidal goes across the powerlines one way or the other. I don’t have any drop outs or problems except when my USB attached DAC has a problem at which point a DAC reboot resolves the problem.

Have you tried putting a speaker directly into the laptop to see if you still get drops?

The PL1200 powerlines have multiple reviews as being very sensitive to noise on the mains and so may actually be a problem in themselves.

How far away is the laptop from the NAS, cold you connect them directly with a long Ethernet cable or move the NAS next to the laptop for a test period?

I know so many ideas :frowning: but we all want to help.

A long Ethernet cable even cat5 would suffice, but Cat 5E or 6 would be better, is not going to be so expensive and is the most ideal way to rule out any powerline adapter issues that might be there - granted it probably requires some spousal consideration for a day or 3…you can safely run up to 100M (300+ feet) of LAN cable so distance should not be an issue unless you are living on a farm :stuck_out_tongue:

Chad,

I disconnected the DAC from the USB port and repeated the test using only the laptop’s internal audio. This time, the only external connection to the laptop was the Powerline. It stopped partway through one album. At one point I returned to the system to see that playback had frozen. When I tried to go to album view, the only album to display was the one saved on the local hard drive. After scrolling around and clicking on different options, the other albums appeared again.

I repeated a few tests that I’d done in the past. With the audio output and the power reconnected, I played the same album used in the first test with Roon Remote active on my iPad. No problems. Without Roon Remote, I played a different album that was stored on the computer’s hard drive rather than the NAS. No problems there either. So all signs still point to the Powerline losing connection.

-SK

Robert,

I returned the Netgear adapters since they didn’t solve my problem. I did update the Trendnet firmware, but didn’t see a difference.

-SK

Ged,

At an early stage in this process I moved the laptop to the room with the NAS and connected by wire. Playback was fine, so the NAS was eliminated as the source of the problem.

Though it’s expensive to run ethernet cable to the opposite end of the house, that’s my current plan. I’ll also set up an access point there, so my wireless coverage should be much better throughout the rest of the house.

-SK

Have you tried different Ethernet adapters. I use the BT ones under £30 on Amazon and they just work.

I just purchased some Actiontec MoCA adapters (ethernet over coaxial cable) and should have them by the weekend. Might be a viable alternative to POE. I’ll post how they are working out next week after they’ve been in a couple of days. Works in homes with cable TV installs (not satellite TV).

http://www.mocalliance.org/

SK,

So it is not just Roon that has problems but any other network service you run that is having issues over the Powerline adapters? For example, do you run any video like Plex or can you play YouTube videos?

It does appear that the Powerline adapters are not going to work in your situation.

Chad.

Chris,

I’ve tried Netgear and Trendnet adapters. The Netgear was a little better, but didn’t solve the problem. I don’t think that BT is available in the US.

-SK

Chad,

YouTube works fine over my Powerline adapters. This is consistent with my guess that the problem is that the adapters go into power saving mode. Video seems to generate enough two-way activity to keep the adapters active.

Foobar playing the same audio files as Roon also has problems. One good trouble shooting feature is that Foobar gives a screen message describing the problem when it can’t properly read the music file.

-SK

I have never heard of nor seen Powerline adapters that have a power-saving mode. That seems like a very bad feature for a networking device of any kind (switch, router, etc.).

Chad.

1 Like

Powerline adapters do have power saving modes- sometimes configurable, sometimes not. Even switches have power saving modes, but I’ve never encountered a problem because of it.

-SK

Interesting - not that I’ve seen in North America as far as I recall.

Chad.

What a pain for you especially to be almost there…

At my weekend cottage, I use several of these:
NETGEAR Powerline 500 Nano 1 GigE Port

I use them with out of the box defaults and they work well with HD movies, 24/192 FLAC files, etc. The only “sleep” I’m aware of is that they do go into some sort of standby mode under the following circumstances as noted in the userguide. Even though, I’ve never had so much as a split second delay in playing music to my endpoints. Everything is always instant other than any buffering my endpoints use. (computer with music is connected via powerline back to router, and player endpoint is connected to router via different powerline adapter).

Power saving mode occurs when the Ethernet LED is off. This can occur when:

• The Ethernet cable is unplugged.
  • The device connected through the Ethernet cable is turned off.
  • The adapter is idle for 10 minutes.

The adapter returns to normal mode within 2 seconds once the Ethernet link is up.

I use two ActionTec MOCA adapters (bonded high speed) across a dedicated piece of COAX with excellent results. I can stream full bitrate blu-ray over them, along with everything else that’s going on, with no dropouts.

Powerline adapters never worked well enough for me.

Another option: use eeros as your access points, and bridge wirelessly where you need to. The mesh will deal with all the details, and you can hardwire into them as needed. Should be plenty fast enough for ROON.

1 Like

Definitely.
-SK

Received my Actiontec MoCA Bonded 2.0 ethernet via coaxial cable adapters today. Installation was quick. MicroRendu and Bryston BDP-1 both function well in Roon Ready mode. Couldn’t get connected to the microRendu via NAA HQ Player.

Not sure if its a settings or compatibility issue.

Open Mesh do a nice wi-fi solution. As the name suggests, placing more than one WAP means you can create a mesh network across your house. Powerline solutions are not recommended. Performance is generic across brands. Marantz tried a powerline solution a few years back. Pretty average. S/N ratio about 80ish%.