Skipping fairly infrequently

Same thing here, although fairly infrequently. Happened three times in a four-hour listening session last night. It wasn’t an issue on 1.6. Using a dedicated i5 notebook as core, output to a Pi endpoint with Ropieee, connected to a headphone DAC/Amp. Core and end points wired, with no wifi involved.

Hi @Toolio,

Does this happen with all content?

Does the same thing occur if you play to System Output of the Core?

I have Qobuz, Tidal and my own library. So far I’ve noticed it happening only with Qobuz. Testing core system output, I assume, would require me to listen to music for a few hours on a horrible computer speaker. I’ll try to do that when I need some background music. But I can tell you it just happened tonight again, on a different endpoint and DAC than last night.

Try signing in and out of Qobuz in settings, services.

I’ve done that. It’s not the solution. I see others are having the same problem.

Yes some were solved by the service restart, but not you unfortunately…

Hi @Toolio,

• Can you describe your current networking setup?
  • Have you noticed any patterns here? Are the same tracks always skipping?
  • If you temporarily lower the TIDAL and Qobuz streaming quality settings in Roon is there any change?

I can answer some of your questions now. The others will require some experimentation I haven’t yet done.

1. Gigabit internet
  2. Roon core on HP notebook i5 with 8 gigs of memory and SSD drive with my personal library on external drive. The notebook is used for Roon only. It is wired to the router. No wifi.
  3. Netgear Nighthawk router, with a few wired switches in my network.
  4. Various endpoints, most Raspberry Pi running Ropiee and one with DietPi. All but are wired. I haven’t used the wifi endpoint with 1.7, so that’s not the issue. It’s not one I use often.
  5. Various DACs and amps running off the Pi endpoints, from Schiit to iFi brands.
  6. Roon remote devices range from iPads to Android tablets to Fire Tablets.

I have not noticed many patterns. My skips are always from the song currently playing to the beginning of the next song. Entire songs are not being skipped. I am not getting Roon error messages on my Roon remotes when the skips occur. The skips I have noticed are on Qobuz, not Tidal, but I have been mainly listening to Qobuz since the release of Roon 1.7. There is no particularly good reason for that, other than the fact that I recently restarted a Qobuz sub after the price drop. I haven’t noticed skipping on files contained in my own library, but to be honest I haven’t played many of those with 1.7.

My skips aren’t as frequent as some others have described. I’m guessing over two evenings of listening they happen about every 45 minutes on average. But the frequency isn’t fixed. I might get two in 15 minutes, then none for 90 minutes.

If I go back to the song I was playing when the skip occurred, the skip does not repeat. Everything about the skips seems random, at least so far. No particular recordings, regardless of artist or the resolution of the recording.

As for changing the streaming quality of Qobuz and/or Tidal, I don’t know. I have both set to maximum, and I have both MQA and non-MQA DACs for Tidal. The MQA DACs require a first unfold by a Roon. (although as I have said I don’t find Tidal problematic). Qobuz, obviously, does not have a MQA recordings.

I don’t know whether this is useful information, but if I play Qobuz outside of Roon the songs download into memory very quickly. Quobuz, but not a Tidal, has a buffer indicator in the iPad app. Even the highest resolution files are fully downloaded into the buffer in five seconds, so clearly there is no internet issue.

I’m not in a position to do much listening for the next few days, bit I’ll experiment with different streaming quality settings around he middle of the week and report back. Other than for testing purposes I have no need or desire to reduce quality.

I hope this is helpful.

Hey @Toolio,

We just released Build 505 with some changes that we think will help here. Can you give it a shot and let us know how it goes?

More details are here:

Thanks!

So far so good, after a few hours of listening to Qobuz. That’s encouraging. Thanks for the quick update.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.