Slow applying of Tag filters

Roon Core Machine

Win 11 headless server with 32Gb RAM, 250Gb Samsung NVMe and 10Tb WD Red running Roon Server. (Intel Core i5-11400)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Server hard wired, a mixture of hard wired endpoints, Asus AX58 router.

Connected Audio Devices

Altair over WiFi, USB from Core, Pi’s and SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo via unmanaged switches. Sonos and Bluesound devices wireless.

Number of Tracks in Library

around 200K tracks local, ca 400 albums on Qobuz

Description of Issue

I think i found a weakness in the database design. I have a pretty extensive library, some 14K albums, where a couple of thousand are duplicates, in other formats.
I have some 6K artists, where i have favorited some 700 for an easier way to browse them.
I figured it would be a good idea to Tag these artists also, as a custom tag “Favoritartister”. I mostly browse my liibrary through the Album view and figured applying the Tag filter of “Favoritartister” would show the albums by those artists, but this causes two things:
Firstly the database freezes for almost a minute when applying the Tag:

Secondly, the filtering on the Tag it seems to show albums where favorite artists are credited as teack artists, not albums where they are “AlbumArtists” which causes a lot of Various Artists-albums to surface…

So, is the wait time to filter on Favorite Artists tag in Album view reasonable and expected?

Secondly, how can i make it only apply to AlbumArtists?

1 Like

Hey @Mikael_Ollars,

Thanks for writing in! Could you provide a more specific example of this issue so we can better understand your situation?

With that, can you provide a more detailed step-by-step of your tagging process?

A quick workaround could be to save a bookmarked browsing view that contains the proper mixture of tags, or setup a separate playlist hosting the proper list you are filtering for.

I’ll be on standby for your reply, thanks!

Sure, i’ll try and elaborate.
I initially wanted to “filter” my favorite artists and “heart” them.
This was done by selecting them, in iterations. Select 50 at a time, assign them a “heart”.

However, the heart is not inversible, but it was easy selecting all hearts and assigning them to a Tag, which IS inversible.

So, out of my 5K artists, some 700 are “hearted” and also Tagged as “Favorite artists”, and the Tag is also bookmarked.

Now, i also have a few more Tags, used for identifying certain types of albums etc. One of my tags is “1001 Albums you must hear before you die” which is easily selectable, sortable and filterable when the Tag is used in Album view as a focus point (also inversible).
Selecting this Tag for focus is immediate.

I had an idea, to show albums by my favorite artists only. This could be used as a playlist (allowing randomization etc). However, focusing on the tag “Favorite Artists” in the Album view, almost bring Roon to it’s knees, with a frozen GUI for more than a minute…

It’s an edge case, but seems like a relevant way to build smart views and show my library from different perspectives.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.