Slow performance since update

Tbqh Roon for me is not a good experience anymore. Roon used to be a killer piece of software. The slow performance it suffers since 1.6 is resulting in me listening more and more to my HomePod, while I have a really good Hi-Fi setup. I am giving the Roon team some time to fix these deal breaking issues before I quit my subscription.

Hi @Anthro,

I’ve moved your report over to it’s own thread so our team can take a closer look at what you’re experiencing.

So we can better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so we can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

The next time that you’re in this state where things seem slow, I was hoping you could perform the following test. Please make a note of the time that you start the test and how long each step takes:

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

Respond here with the times for each and the time that you started (and your timezone). I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.

Hello Dylan,

Thanks for showing interest regarding the problems I am experiencing with Roon. I will do my best to provide you with all the information you need.

I am running Roon on a NUC7i5 with the ROCK OS installed (Version 1.0 (build 174) stable). Music is stored locally on an internal (Crucial mx500 1TB) SSD. The picture underneath explains my hardware setup. I have a 1000/1000 mbit fibre connection.

I will upload the testing data as soon as I am able to perform some testing.

Since this week I am getting very inconsistent performance, sometimes its fast (2-3 seconds) while 20 seconds later I am getting really slow loading times which takes up to 10-15 seconds to successfully load search results.

I will keep experimenting.

UPDATE

@dylan this morning (Monday 22 April) at 09:01 am (European +1 Amsterdam) (I believe this is 09:01 CEST) the searches were again really slow so I decided to give this post an update.

Between 09:01 and 09:04 searching for The Beatles and Daft punk took about a minute. When the search results were in browsing albums and starting playback were pretty much instantaneously.
During this slow searching time the overview and discovery page were also instantaneously.

Speed testing yielded the following results: Upload speed: 729.58 Mb/s, download speed: 214.85 Mb/s and jitter 10 msec.

I know my data is not delivered in the exact same way as the template. But can you guys work with this intel?

Thanks for the update here, @Anthro!

I’ve passed this information along to the team for their investigation.

Since you last responded here, was this the first time that searches started to get slow again? How often do you see this happen?

When you’re noticing this behavior, if you use a different remote device for Roon, does the slowness occur on that remote as well?

Hello @dylan the slowdowns occur on a frequent base. It is however not very consistent. Sometimes it’s 3 seconds, other times it’s more like 15-20 seconds and there are cases were it takes over a minute to yield search results. This happens using all my remotes (iPhone, iPad and MacBook).

Running the core on a NUC with Rock or my Synology NAS also makes no difference. The only variable is the Roon version which is running on my core.

Hi @Anthro,

Thanks for the info here, I’ll be sure to pass this along to the team. In the meantime, I recommend checking out our latest update on this investigation here. I’ll be sure to update you when we have more information available.

Thanks!

Thanks Dylan, I read your post. Hope to seeing that possible fix soon.

Hi @Anthro,

I wanted to reach out because we’ve just released Roon 1.6 (Build 416). This update includes a fix for some performance problems we believe may be causing some users to experience slowness in Roon. Please give Roon an update and let us know if things have improved for you.

You can read the full release notes here:

Hello @Dylan I gave the new build a bit of a spin. And while overall the performance seems to have been improved it sometimes still suffers from long loading times during searches. When this occurs the search times take like 10-15 seconds and happen 2-3 times per hour during intensive use. This happens on all my remotes (MacBook, iPad and iPhone).

After a few more days it appears that it has stabilized itself somewhat. Searches generally take no longer then 3 seconds. This is great as Roon is once again useable for me. So I am really happy with that!

However, I find 3 seconds of search time still rather long. Local content displays immediately when turning off Tidal streaming. The longer search time when streaming services are enabled feels outdated to me as the Tidal searches are in fact really fast when using the Tidal native app.

Hi @Anthro,

I’m glad to hear that things are performing better for you!

As mentioned in my post here, we have some projects in the works to improve search performance further. That thread is being used to track performance feedback from everyone as these projects progress.

Thanks!
Dylan

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.