Slow scan mac mini wifi

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
MacMini 2014 MacOS BigSur 11.1 Roon 1,7 Build 710

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear Business Access point wifi

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

USB
Matrix USB xmos converter.

Description Of Issue

When scanning storage it takes around 5 hours. I have 100k files. Anyone know how to speed it up?

I’m assuming this is new setup, and thus I suspect Roon is performing audio analysis on the files.

If you click on the small spinning circle it will pop up a progress window.

This is quiet an CPU and disk I/O intensive Pope ration and can take many hours to complete. However, it’s a one off process so once completed one new tracks have to be analysed.

In Roon’s settings there’re are some options to control how much computer resource Roon card use and when this process is triggered.

Checkout Roon’s help certain for more details.

Note that once completed, on rebooting Roon will still scan for files but this is just to confirm their storage location… this file system scan only take a minute or so to complete.

PS what’s the spec of that MacMini 2014?

• CPU
  • RAM
  • HDD or SSD (OS disk)

As it’s quite dated … that may be a significant factor.
Especially if it does not have a solid state disk fitted.

No, I have had this setup for three years. This happens rather frequently. Because my is Roon loosing connection with my core on a regular basis. Say once or twice a month Roon is loosing connetion to the core. And after that it has to perform the time consuming audio analysis.

The specs are
CPU 2,6 ghz
Ram 16 gb
SSD

Hello @Ulf_Silbersky, do you have another machine you could temporarily use as the core to see if this issue persists? Also, could you try connecting via Ethernet to see if that helps?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.