Slow Search (Windows + Qobuz)

I also have this problem. Enhancements with roon radio 1.6 persuaded me to finally take a streaming subscription (Qobuz). But search and/or adding new media and/or metadata performance with and without Qobuz enabled is night and day.

I have two roons, one with i3, one with i5. Both have local storage and SSD for Windows 10 / roon core & library. The i3 is fixed internet the the i7 is wireless. The experience is identical with both configurations. That is, severe performance degradation with Qobuz enabled. For example, 20 to 30 seconds common with a new search. This goes down considerably with a subsequent similar search (almost as if a cache is being used). I have experimented with re-boots, re-installs, both 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 DNS etc. etc as has been advised from time to time on various threads.

2 Likes

Hi @Tony_Casey,

Can you provide some details on your networking setup? What networking hardware is in use? If you run a speedtest here what are the results?

Would you kindly perform the following tests?

1. Reboot your Core machine.
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for looking into this.

My complaints were about performance on a home network in Copenhagen, Denmark. I am travelling at the moment and will not be able to report back on that network until the end of next week. I cannot remember the precise details of the network/router etc., other than it is a cable ISP we use for the TV as well and the local LAN is a very simple dumb netgear gigabyte switch with only a few devices.

However, I am on a wireless network in a Dublin, Ireland hotel. I have a local roon on an i7 laptop with a mixed library of about 5,000 tracks both on a local HD (not SSD) and Qobuz. I have run your tests.

Response on hotel wifi is good both with both Beatles and Daft Punk, both search and play. A few seconds to almost instantaneous. Much closer to what I remember on my home network in Copenhagen before 1.6 and before subscribing to Qobuz. Nothing at all like the experience at home.

I am moving to another location nearby in Dublin, later today so I will re-run the tests. I will be able to be more precise about details of the network setup there.

So I am at a new residential location in Dublin (not a Hotel). I have repeated the tests and performance is very good. It feels a tad slower on search and a tad quicker to play but it is not a big difference and is not annoying and may even be my imagination. This is just using wifi on the same laptop casting to a CC attached to a flatscreen Samsung TV. I notice that on the new network the upload speed is a third slower but the download speed is more than 5 times higher:

This second experience in Dublin is again night and day quicker than Copenhagen. Country location and ISP is clearly having a dramatic effect. I find it difficult to believe that the ISP service in Copenhagen is significantly worse than Dublin. Unfortunately I cannot confirm until the end of next week. I think it is more likely there is some default configuration with the Danish ISP making this difference. We didn’t change anything.

@dylan @Oyvind_Rosmer @support

This issue is now being reported in multiple posts in multiple threads here on the forum. Don’t you think it’s about time for Roon to make a general announcement and acknowledgement of the issue so we can all stop reporting this repeatedly?

1 Like

I think the reason you are seeing multiplying 1.6 performance threads is that roon themselves have split out the individual posts into separate threads. I assume that is because they believe the reasons are going to be different in each case.

In my case I travel a lot for work so I am in a position to test an identical core/remote/hardware configuration in two different countries on 3 different ISP’s. My experience is pointing to latency issues in certain geography / ISP / cloud interactions. This is probably why some report no performance issues with 1.6 whilst others do. I am experiencing both cases with an identical laptop based roon in two countries and 3 ISP’s.

1 Like

I don’t know if this is significant.

I travel regularly between Denmark and Ireland. I signed up for Qobuz in Ireland. Didn’t notice any performance issues with roon. Once back in Denmark with an identical roon configuration I was experiencing serious performance issues. I am now back in Ireland, again with the same roon configuration. Now no performance issues.

1 Like

Hi @Tony_Casey,

I appreciate the info here! Do you happen to know the router model that you were connected to at the residential location? How does this compare to the networking hardware you have at home where you notice the issue?

Hi @dylan

The router model at the residential location in Dublin is this one (but remember I was having no problems with a fairly low-fi Hotel wi-fi either).

I think it is a Compal Hub 3.0 rebranded by Virgin.

As I say. No performance issue here at all with Quobuz switched on. Listening now. I am just using a simple i7 laptop wifi set up to a Chromecast.

Literally, a few days ago on Friday in Copenhagen using exactly the same wifi laptop configuration the performance with Quobuz switched on is terrible. It is no better with a wired internet roon I have at the same location. I just cannot remember the router model in Copenhagen other than it’s French but that won’t be much help. I can let you know on Thursday/Friday. But TBH I have a feeling in my particular case that registering Qobuz in Ireland but using it in Denmark is having some interaction effect.

Maybe this possibility can be eliminated if there is anyone out there that has a Danish Qobuz subscription registered in Denmark and has no performance issues in Denmark?

Hi @tripleCrotchet,

I have talked with the team about this, and your account region shouldn’t have any impact on how things perform. For testing purposes, we have tried using Qobuz accounts for various other regions and have not reproduced this behavior. The team believes that the difference is likely related to the network.

In addition to knowing the hardware involved, I was hoping you could run this test the next time you’re in this state on your home network and respond with the time that you start the test and the times that each step takes:

1. Run a speed test here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

Thanks, Tony!

Yes. No worries I will re-run the tests when I am back home.

1 Like

Hi @dylan,

I am back in Copenhagen. Ran the tests and got some interesting results. The first thing to notice is that my general ISP performance is very poor. This is a typical result I get when there are a few other things going on concurrently besides roon (internet TV, downloads, microsoft office cloud apps etc.)

Then I get the following roon results:

1. Reboot your Core machine.
  2. Open Overview page.

3-4 secs

1. Open Discover page.

2 secs – 150 secs

1. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.

18-20 secs

1. Open “The Beatles” artist page.

2-3 secs

1. Open the “Help!” album page.

4 secs

1. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).

10 secs

1. Search for “Daft Punk”.

3-5 secs

1. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.

2 secs

1. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.

Instant

1. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

18-20 secs

I ran the tests several times, on a wired and wireless LAN. I have two roons and there were variations running on a wired i3 core and a wifi i7 core, but not much. They were consistently bad.

I then ran the tests with all other network activity besides roon switched off and then I got a slightly better speed result, much closer to the hotel wifi speeds I was experiencing in Dublin:

However, this seems to be enough to give a consistently much better roon experience. Similar to my experience with hotel wifi in Dublin. I would have preferred it to be a bit snappier but it was no where near the threshold that would lead me to complain. For all these tests I switched VPN off (which I often have switched on for work). Interestingly there were slight but useful improvements by switching VPN on depending on which VPN hub I chose.

These speeds are nothing even close to what my ISP advertises. We are in central Copenhagen. For those of you who do not know it, residential housing here is very high density Victorian apartment blocks (120-140 years old). Wiring is absolutely terrible. My guess is that the problem is the shared internal coax of the apartment block of 16 units we are in. We are moving at the end-of June so I will not be doing anything about it and hope we have better luck at the next place.

For the sake of completeness. I also disconnected my Qobuz account. In this case I couldn’t really run your tests as I have neither the Beatles or Daft Punk locally. But anecdotally with several things going on the network at the same time (a youtube skynews feed, a file download) then roon search and play is very snappy, just how I remember it before 1.6 and signing up to Qobuz. With Qobuz enabled and all other network activity ceased I cannot quite achieve this performance level but it is certainly acceptable. Obviously it is not much of a work-around as I have to do other things on the network as well. But that will be for the next residents to address.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.