Slowness and internet radio issue

All very temperamental for me. At times slow to ‘play’, searches can take ages (> 30s), at times in about 1s, moving from one local album to another many seconds, other times immediately. .

At times music simply stops midtrack (internet is rock solid - 75mb down, 5ms ping, local ethernet is 1gb)

One of two Internet Radio Stations play for a few seconds and then Roon Core and Roon Control crashes. (station is http://8.38.78.173:8045/stream)

Have rebooted Core machine, rebooted local ethernet, rebooted all machines. (several times).

Roon Core on Xeon machine , 20gb RAM, Windows 10, SSD etc. Using Tidal. Roon end point (running RAAT) dedicated win10 SSD machine with all unnecessary services locked down.

All evident since ver. 1.6. 1.5 was rock solid.

What troubleshooting can I do please? Or how can I send log files please?

Hi @Edward_L,

Can you describe your current networking setup? What networking hardware is in use?

Can you provide some specific examples of this? What content are you trying to play and how long does it take? Is there a difference between TIDAL and local content?

Can you provide some specific examples of this as well? What are you searching for and how long does it take?

How often does this occur? Does it happen for all endpoints? TIDAL and local or just TIDAL content?

The next time it occurs can you note the time the stop happens and respond here with the timestamp and what you were playing

Hello Dylan

Thanks for reaching out.

I want to stress that my issues and as already mentioned are ‘at times’. For the most part things are smooth and trouble-free. Just sufficiently annoying to prompt me to post on your forum.

Turning to your questions:

Can you describe your current networking setup? What networking hardware is in use?

Simple enough. A 1gb lan using an unmanaged switch. All ethernet end points are wired back to the switch box. Internet coming in via the Modem/router into the switch box. DHCP handeld via the modem/router. Internal LAN speed just short of 1gb. Internet (external) speed approx 76mb down and 19mb up.

Roon Core on a xeon machine (fixed IP address and dedicated line back to switch box). Roon endpoint (using RAAT) on a W10 dedicated machine on a fxed IP address back to switch box.

LAN is rock solid as well as external internet.

searches can take ages (> 30s)

Nothing I can recall immediately. But it would be an artist or album that is not currently in my library (so needs to search on the Tidal database).

How often does this occur? Does it happen for all endpoints? TIDAL and local or just TIDAL content?

The next time it occurs can you note the time the stop happens and respond here with the timestamp and what you were playing

Good questions. Probably once or twice in a 2 hour session.

So far as I recall only when playing from Tidal, but I will be more observant in the future. The next time it occurs I will note what content is playing (Tidal or local) as well as the time.

Please could you try the internet radio station I mentioned in my post.

Just to reiterate with Roon versions before 1.6 I did not have these issues. Also, fyi, I use JRiver in a similar mode (server/client mode) and do not have such issues (but of course all my content is local as Tidal is not implemented in JRiver).

Would it help if I uninstall Roon Core and reinstall? If so how do I retain and then re-import all my settings (history, last played, last date added etc.)

Thanks for your help.

Edward

Thank you for the info, @Edward_L!

Thanks, definitely let us know.

We currently have a ticket open with our development team regarding this issue. I can’t provide any specific timeframes for when a fix will be available, but we are hoping to address this soon.

Hi Dylan

Since my post to you I had several ‘stop’ conditions. Both from local and Tidal. Latest a few minutes ago.

Time (London/UTC) 17:21 on Feb 2nd 2019.

Playing Tidal track ‘Her Song’ from album by Jan Gunnar/Mike Stern.

Appreciate feedback as to what you see in your logs and recommended remedial actions.

Cheers

Hi @Edward_L,

Thanks! Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi @Edward_L,

In our last update we made a change addressing an issue that we identified to cause some slowness issues. This may not be the exact cause of the slowness you were seeing, but I wanted to check in and see how things are performing once everything is fully up to date.

Hi Dylan

Many thanks. I have not been keeping notes but I do think that things have become faster. However I still experience ‘stop’ conditions at times. These are most annoying, especially If I’m not near a control point to start again. Did the diagnostics you got from my machine throw any light on the possible causes?

Is there anything I can do as troubleshooting steps or something I can do to mitigate this problem? For example would it help if I simply uninstall Roon Core and reinstalled? I’ve never done a restore before (the concept and steps are clear) but naturally I’m hesitant in doing so for fear the backup is not restored correctly.

cheers