Slowness/freezing when an artist has many albums

Has this been solved yet? I am having similar problems with my collection of Concertgebouw Orchestra. And conductors like Bernstein, Von Karajan and Haitink. Very annoying indeed…

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

Thanks for the report, we appreciate the feedback here. Can you clarify how many albums that you have for that artists?

Can you also provide some details on your setup? What kind of Core machine + remotes are you using?

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for your prompt reaction! Here’s the info:

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra 1397 albums (strangely enough I see two artists with exactly the same name, now that I look it up with Focus)
Haitink 437
Karajan 402

Server:
Roon Server
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
16GB Ram
Samsung EVO 970 2.M for operating system and Roon

controller:
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T813 on Android 7.0

Hope this helps?

Kindest greetings from The Netherlands!

Marcel

I appreciate the info here @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

I’m going to pass your report along to our technical team so they can take a closer look. So I can make sure that the team has everything they need, I’d like to enable diagnostics on your account. Please reproduce the issue (try to load the albums by the artist above) and note the time you do so. Send that timestamp to me here and I’ll make sure the technical team reviews the diagnostics report in relation to that time.

Thanks!

… ah, thank you for looking into it! This morning it is not so extreme as usual, but at 9.45 and 9.49 it happened again. Normally it freezes much longer and when the albums at the right appear it is over. This time albums at the right side appeared but it was still frozen, strangely enough. Hope you can find something…

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

Thanks! Now that I have the timestamps, diagnostics have been enabled on your account. The next time your Core is active a diagnostics report will automatically be generated and uploaded directly to our servers

Once that’s been received, I’ll be sure to update this thread and pass the diagnostics over to the team for further analysis.

Hi @Marcel_van_Tilburg,

I spoke with the team about the behavior you’re seeing here and wanted to reach out with an update.

The current design of the artists page isn’t built to handle this number of albums. In a vast majority of cases the design works as designed, but for these extreme cases things start to not work as intended. This is something we are aware of and are hoping to address in the future.

At the moment, the best option is to use Focus to look at albums with these artists as a performer, and then bookmark it for easy access.

Mike goes into this a bit more here.

Thank you for the feedback here, Marcel. We greatly appreciate it!

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for this! Hope this will be solved soon. Wouldn’t be the easiest solution to show 10 titles and have a ‘more’ button to load more? To be honest I don’t use it myself; if I want more of the musicians I listen to, I tap the name…

Kindest greetings from The Netherlands!

Marcel

I have this problem also. Being a “Deadhead” allows me to have many different concerts over the 30 years they played. The ipad doesn’t work well with this type of catalog. It would be nice if the “by this artist” was limited to say 10 albums or something to help improve the performance. Or perhaps there could be a few shown with a button to show more. Not sure how complicated it would be to add this feature but it would be nice.