Slowness in Roon

I have only one service; TIDAL. But since 1.6, operation is painfully slow here too.
Never experienced any of this slowness until 1.6.
Lbrary : 2319 albums, 15187 tracks (95% TIDAL)

• Apple iMac “Core i7” 3.4 27-Inch (Late 2012) ,iMac13,2 - A1419
  • iPhone + iPad remotes,
  • 2 Raspberry Pi 3 Roon roopieee endpoints
1 Like

I Agree think this is my second year with roon never been so bad fingers crossed the next update will be soon and fix the problem till then im just using Tidal see what happens .

1 Like

Hi @Oyvind_Rosmer,

Can you describe your current networking setup? What networking hardware is in use and how is your Core connected?

What kind of slowness are you experiencing? Is the UI slow? Searching? Playback? Does this occur for all remotes and endpoints?

I must start with saying that now as i sit here trying to recreate the slowness/delays, i can’t reproduce it. The UI and search is snappy and responsive, both on iMac and iPhone. I am now on the first floor (the floor above street level) where my main router and iMac Roon core is located. I usually remote-operate Roon with my iPhone or iPad in my living room on the ground floor where my stereo and Airport Express extender is located. One would immediately suspect bad Wifi on the ground floor now, but everything else runs fine there. Smart TV, Playstation 4, Apple TV ,all wirelessly connected with no connection issues. Also 4K video content.

I have an Apple Airport Extreme main router and an Airport Express extender (good wireless connection to the Airport Extreme).
The Roon Core/server is my Apple iMac* A1419, Gbit LAN connection to the Airport Extreme.
*Edit : i run Windows 10 on the iMac, and hence use the Windows Roon software…
The Roon endpoints are both wired ; one to the Airport Extreme and one to the Airport Express.

The slowness is general in the UI, but especially when using search and then when trying to “enter” a searched non-library artist’s albums for example. Takes up to a minute before the album contents are displayed. And when trying to play a song from that album it takes 10 sec before playback begins and additional seconds before the Now Playing section catches on. Navigating ‘Back’ is quick, only to experience the same long delay when trying to navigate forward back into the recently viewed album again. Or when picking a different album from the search results.

This is a bit fiddely to explain in writing… could i have made a screen recording when operating Roon on ex. my iPhone and posted it here? Is that possible?

I was just searching for this very topic. I have the same symptoms. I am running an i7 to Roon’s Spec ROCK on a Ubiquiti UniFi network. My ROCK is connected directly on my primary Switch. All of my endpoints are either Sonore xxRendu or USBridge and are hardwired except one Chromecast Audio.

The delay on the non-library Artists album page seems much longer. Navigating away and back to the same page has the same slowness repeated.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Searches are occasionally slow

30secs to load the album from Qobuz this morning. Qobuz is the worst offender I am finding, although its affecting Tidal as well, If you remove the streaming services then normal service is resumed and search and loading are pretty instantaneous

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Slow searches when signed in to Qobuz

A post was split to a new topic: Intermittent slow searches

A post was split to a new topic: Slow searches when signed in to TIDAL

A post was split to a new topic: Slow performance since 1.6

Thanks for the info here, @Oyvind_Rosmer!

Moving forward, once you experience this slow behavior again, please note the time that you first notice the slowness occur. Then, once you’re in that state, please try the following and note how long each item takes:

1. Run a speedtest here and report your results in your response
  2. Open Overview page.
  3. Open Discover page.
  4. Perform a search for “The Beatles”.
  5. Open “The Beatles” artist page.
  6. Open the “Help!” album page.
  7. Start playback of “Help!” (how long does it take before it plays?).
  8. Search for “Daft Punk”.
  9. Open the “Daft Punk” artist page.
  10. Open the “Random Access Memories” album page.
  11. Start playback of “Random Access Memories”.

Respond here with the times for each and I’ll pass these results along to the team to aid in their investigation.

Yes, if you make a recording of this occurring please share that recording here (you can just paste a link) and I’ll send it to the team to take a look.

Have been few weeks now, still periodically painfully slow.
Havent bothered to run the tests as i get annoyed and find alternate solutions there and then, to get the music going.

But did the MLab test:
UPLOAD SPEED
317.79 Mb/s
DOWNLOAD SPEED
247.84 Mb/s
Network latency: 8 msec round trip time
Jitter: 40 msec.

Again, I can confirm there are several other wireless devices in the household with no issues. And worth mentioning; a Hifi-friend of mine, with a pair of very network-picky Devialet Phantoms, experienced the same slowness and ended Roon before the trial period. And he is actually a network engineer by trade, and has top-of-the line mesh-network in his house. Mostly because of the demanding Devialet speakers. All in all; i really think we can exclude any local network limitiations/issues, at least in my and my friends case. Adding the other reports about this issue, it points towards Roon…? Hope you work it out, there really is no alternative :musical_note::+1:

Edit: as i sat and wrote this, i have had several “hiccups” in the last 5 tracks or so. Sound disappears for a fraction of a second. Never had this before!

Have you updated Roon to the new build 416?

Cheers, Greg

Yes, but only a few days ago. Have not had the time to thoroughly use it since the update, and will report back here later with my experiences

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.