SMSL SU-8 - Pops/clicks on format change

Good to hear
Does your unit pop/click between tracks when there’s a change in sample rate or bit rate? Mine does and it’s driving me nuts (it takes digital in via USB/Analog out via XLR)

yep its pretty annoying

@Andrew_White2
I’m trying to solve this popping and clicking on format change with this DAC.

How do you have it connected? Mine is taking USB from PC; some people on the Audioscience review forum claim that if fed an optical signal it will not do this. I have an optical out on my PC but was unable to make it work 0- windows (and Roon) silly don’t see the dac when connected via optical.
Also what about analog out - do you use XLR or RCA? I use XLR, wasn’t able to test RCA.
Oh, and for me this seems to be a Windows issue only - if I feed it from a Raspberry Pi streamer it doesn’t click anymore…

Hi @DanMtsn/@Andrew_White2,

I have moved your latest posts over here so that you can continue your discussion regarding this behavior freely.

If the issue only happens when changing sample rates, you may want to add a slight resync delay to see if it helps.

If it doesn’t, you might want to reach out to SMSL support directly regarding this.

Thanks Noris
I followed up on the ASR forum where a lot of people are using this and many are complaining about these clicks.
I am afraid this doesn’t have a solution, it’s just how this device works - you either live with it or you find something else…

By the way, I increased the re-sync delay but it still clicks. Fortunately for me it is not a loud click so for the time being I just ignore it…

1 Like

yea this is pretty much what ive been dealing with it, its not the end of the world for me so I just let it be

some people claim that via optical there are no clicks. I wasn’t able to make it work via optical - maybe there’s something wrong with my cable but i couldn’t get any sound out of it.

while I have gotten used to the pops and clicks this DAC is now doing something else that is quite annoying so I’m trying to find a way to solve it or make a decision to replace it
on low volume it goes on standby - it doesn’t display anything to say that it’s on standby, but my ADAM T10S subwoofer which is the next component in the chain goes on standby and it does that because it does not receive a signal from the DAC.

The other thing, that I think is related, the DAC disappears from Roon completely at times. I mean, it is not even visible as an audio device that needs enabling. I have to restart it by unplugging it to get it to show again in Roon.

Any thoughts?