Software or Amp. for volume control?

Any comments on the quote below from the Peachtree Nova 300 intergrated Amplifier user manual?

Hello @James_O_Brien,

For the Peachtree Nova 300, it is best to set the “Volume Control” setting in Roon to “Fixed Volume” and use the Peachtree’s volume control to control the output levels in your system.

-John

Using device native volume control should be your first choice. This means setting Roon to Fixed Volume and using the Peachtree to control volume. The amp will operate more efficiently with line level input; their recommendation.

That’s how I’ve set things up on my main setup and TV room. For my other devices I set Use Device Controls, e.g. IQaudiO, DragonFly.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Audio_Setup_Basics

Thanks Guys,
I just changed to “fixed volume” in roon Peachtree device setup.
much appreciated.

This is true of most setups…digital domain should be kept at full volume.

Most of the discussions on here seem to to advise setting both software and DAC at 100%, making all volume adjustments with your amplifier.

The problem with this approach is that many amplifiers such as my Belles Aria then have a very limited usable volume control range - reaching “very loud” at around 9 - 10 o’clock on a rotary dial. Many (old-school?) amplifier theorists will say that amplifiers should be between 12 - 2pm when generating high volume, without clipping. People like Alan Shaw - the designer if Harbeth speakers - are adamant that many amplifiers are causing serious SQ problems by having “too sensitive” volume control.

With this in mind I’ve recently started experimenting - using the DAC volume control on my Hegel HD25 to reduce volume by 20-30%, which enables me to use much higher settings on my amplifier. From the first couple of listening sessions, I’m liking this approach. It does indeed seem to produce a warmer, more analog sound. It also provides much more control for low volume listening.

Loss of detail from ‘losing bits’? If there is, it’s very hard to detect.

Thoughts and experiences on this topic from other Rooners would be interesting.