Software Zone dropout

I currently have 14 zones in my Roon setup. It seems there is instability in the software as it randomly drops individual zone access. Is this a known bug or my problem and is there a correction?

You might like to provide more detail as noted here and don’t forget to note your core system specs

Moved to the support area. FYI I have at least as many zones and don’t suffer any issues.

Hi @Rudy_Taylor,

Thanks for your post here. We would need a bit more information to assist you here, can you please look over this thread and use it as a guide to let me know an overview of your setup?

Specifically:

• What Core do you have?
  • What Endpoints are you using?
  • What is your network setup like?
  • How is everything connected?
  • Which endpoints are affected by this issue?
  • Does this issue occur for both streaming and local content?

Thanks,
Noris

[quote=“noris, post:4, topic:63670”]

• What Core do you have?
  • What Endpoints are you using?
  • What is your network setup like?
  • How is everything connected?
  • Which endpoints are affected by this issue?
  • Does this issue occur for both streaming and local content?

Thanks Noris
I am using an early 2011 Macbook Pro optical out into a Bel Canto Dac3 into Bang & Olufsen BeoLab 9 speakers. On the streaming side I cast to several Bang & Olufsen endpoints [BeoSound 2 with Google voice built in, 2 BeoSound 1, 3 BeoSound Core streaming devices, apple TV, Oppo 203]. Music sources are NAS, Qobuz and Tidal. Network is Pakedge router with 8 port POE switch and 24 port unmanaged switch and WX-1 WAP. 4 endpoints are wireless, 5 wired. Several endpoints are used as groups on Google Home app. The dropouts occur on random endpoints but mostly on the grouped products. Ive also had a couple drops on the optical out on MacBook which is always hardwired. I never use Airplay. No device is enabled for Airplay. These dropped devices usually return to list after mac reboot.

IMHO you might want to look at upgrading your Core to cope with multiple streams - it doesn’t meet minimum specs as it is now. Does it even have SSD? How much memory?

If you have another machine to use thats a better spec maybe try that to see if that solves your issue. You could backup and restore the Roon database so you won’t have anything missing…including your endpoints that are setup.

Hi @Rudy_Taylor,

Thanks for letting me know that info. @wizardofoz does make a good point and I believe he is correct here, your Core is a bit underpowered to be streaming to that many zones.

Our minimum suggested requirements can be found here but for 14 multi-room zones, you’ll definitely want a better setup than just a 2011 Macbook Pro, especially if there are other applications on the Macbook Pro which could be taking up processing power and RAM in addition to Roon processing.

At this point I would even suggest getting a dedicated Roon Core, such as a Nucleus or ROCK-based setup (with an SSD and 8GB of RAM) for better stability.

As for the network side of things, this also appears to be a bit complex here, so I am wondering here if the endpoints that are suffering this issue are all connected to one part of the network chain. Are the endpoints that are experiencing this issue mostly on Wireless or Wired? Are they connected to the WX-1 or to the POE/Unmanaged switch? This could also give us some clues on where the bottleneck lies.

Our Networking Best Practices guide give some great suggestions on locating possible network bottlenecks in setups so I would suggest giving it a read through. Please let me know if any of my suggestions help.

Thanks,
Noris

Thank you guys for your insight. As I am confident my network is solid, I’ll take the decision to upgrade to a Nucleus and hardwire the endpoints that are currently working off wi-fi. Let you know next month when the Nucleus is installed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.