Solutions To Vacation Home Problem?

Yup, I just installed Roon on my laptop and ran it in server mode and deactivated my primary system while I was traveling. I have server Intel i7 NUC’s that are maxed out on RAM with 64GB – they’re plenty fast enough. The problem isn’t really the hardware, it’s the network connection speed here. Roon won’t let you set Tidal’s streaming quality so it just assumes everyone using Roon and Tidal are on a fast Internet connection. DSL128 is not fast enough to support Roon and Tidal.

It would be nice if Roon would at least let us change the streaming quality of Tidal, but they won’t. If you have a Tidal Hifi Account, then you get Roon setting Tidal at the highest quality setting available and have no other options if you want to use Roon.

My guess is that the streaming speed is dependant on the Tidal account you have - ie if its a HIFI account then that is what you will get.

That much is obvious – with the Tidal app you can chose the quality level, thus adjusting to the connection speed. If I bring it down one notch, I can use the Tidal app just fine over DSL128. But I have playlists in Roon that are a mix of Tidal and my collection, which was the whole point of this exercise.

What is DSL128? I have used Tidal with Roon over a 4G connection and it worked OK.

There’s a site that has all the information you’re looking for @Henry_McLeod

Just check out lmgtfy.com

:slight_smile:

Tidal & Roon work over 4G – I’ve done it. It drops out every now and then though and isn’t really a working solution.

Good grief, that is old school! I work with a provider and we are in the process of switching all of that stuff off! We called it ISDN here. Essentially a standard digital phone channel is 64Kb in Europe, two of them piggybacked is 128Kb and that is essentially what this is. It is a last generation product and very little marketed today would be designed to work with this.

Yes, all that’s available there is a phone line (old school POTS) so DSL is the service that the phone company provides for Internet. I feel like I’m in the 90’s in terms of connectivity when I’m there – and honestly that’s part of the charm. No cell reception, barely a phone line and power.