Some questions regarding "Bridge"

If you plan to move your core to a Intel i5 NUC; why not just use that as an endpoint as well ?

Just connect the NUC to your Yamaha A-S801 via USB; and you are good to go. Install ROCK on the NUC of course :smiley:

Edit:
I saw you planned for an i3 NUC; it might be wise to go for i5 - then you are covered for the foreseeable future as well.

Or Windows if you want DSD.

i was thinking is going to be easy…

Of course, you can just set up Roon to convert DSD to PCM; if you go for the highest quality converter of DSD it is often better than internal DAC conversion. Most DAC’s work in PCM internally (even though they are built around a sigma-delta chip). So I have tried this on fairly high end DAC’s (5000 USD+); the DSD to PCM converter in Roon is very good.

Edit:
If the DAC fully works in DSD - then converting the other way (from PCM to DSD) is the way to go.

The audio-world is never easy. If it had been easy; all fun would be gone :smiley:

Edit:
It is actually very easy; but making the right decision for you (applies to us all) is always complicated.

ok…hold on…

status quo:

raspberry pi, allo digione, ropieee ------> coax-------> yamaha a-s801
in roon convert dsd to pcm (need to find where this point is)

You find it under DSP/Sample Rate Conversion.

Just convert DSD64, 128, 256, 512 to 176.4kHz. Is is that easy (don’t use 192kHz). Or if your DAC supports up to 384kHz; use 352.8Khz instead of 176.4kHz.

If you have the processing power in your core: Select 7th order (clans); and enable native DSD processing).

Edit:
If you don’t have any DSD files; this is a waste of time :slight_smile:

Edit2:
Some devices also got a setting for DSD to PCM in the device setup. Check there first, then it will automatically convert using the optimal settings for your device.

or…i buy a auralic mini…hahahahahahahahahahaha no joke…it’s really hard for a “newbie” to understand the whole stuff with convert, dsd, etc etc…

All you need to do in DSP is to set the conversion to MAX PCM Rate (Power of 2). That will choose the highest PCM Rate that is a multiple of the base rate. So you don’t have to worry about figuring out what the highest rate your DAC can support, Roon will handle it.

Also, don’t get confused if you do not have “Enable Native DSD Processing” as an option. That option only is shown if there is a DSD capable DAC attached.

That’s what I’ve done

In my opinion Max PCM rate (Power of 2) is the wrong way to go; then you will upsample all signals (not only DSD). You don’t want to do that :wink:

This approach is a good way to kill the bit perfect signal path at least.

Edit:
But I’m a purist; everything I can get bit perfect - I want.

Looks good to me. That is how I have the feed to my DigiOne setup.

That will convert everything, PCM or DSD to the highest multiple PCM rate your endpoint/DAC can handle. So, 16/44.1 (CD resolution) goes to 24/176.4 and 24/96 will go to 24/192. DSD will get converted to a multiple of 44.1, so in your case 24/176.4.

ok…so what should do?

btw:

is the auralic mini a bad choice as a “bridge” ?

Select Sample rate conversion = Custom.

Leave 44.1, 48. 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz = default
Then
352.8 Khz = 176.4kHz
384 kHz = 192kHz
705.6kHz = 176.4kHz
768kHz = 192kHz
DSD64 = 176.4kHz
DSD128 = 176.4kHz
DSD256 = 176.4kHz
DSD512 = 176.4kHz

Then under DSD Processing Settings (same screen)
Sigma Delta Modulator = 7th Order (CLANS) <== lower this setting if you get CPU issues
SDM Gain Adjustment = 0DB
Parallelize Sigma-Delta Modulator = No
Enable Native DSD Processing = Yes <=== Turn this off if you get CPU issues

Leave rest as is.

ok…i will try tomorrow…

Just make sure it is Roon Ready; it is not stated in the list of Roon Ready devices. If it is Roon ready; it will work fine and a good cheap choice in my opinion.

You don’t want to be stuck with the Auralic nightmarish apps to control the device, in case it is not Roon ready.

sorry it’s the aries mini :slight_smile:

that would be a choice in case of non raspberrypi digione…

“Auralic Aries Mini being used as a Roon Ready Device. Check, but note it is shown as being uncertified by Roon Labs in the Network settings of Roon.”

So it seems to work (this was from a post in 2017); might be certified now? Yes, this is a much better option than rasberrypi :slight_smile: