Some tags not working with Focus (previously worked) + No backup since January

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Intel® Core™ i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Roon Build 783

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Vodafone Hub / Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audioengine D1 DAC on PC with 2TB drive, via USB

Description Of Issue

For some strange reason, some of my tags are not recognised when selecting them in Focus. For example, I have the following tags: “3 star”, “4 star” and “5 star” to indicate favourite tracks. When in Focus to screen music to play, the “3 star” tag works, but the last two don’t. Restarted, logged out and tried everything I could think of. Any help will be appreciated as this worked before.

Focus changed behavior recently with the new “and” / “or” functionality. Did you try messing with those?

Also, it’s unclear what’s working or not working… could you take a short video with your phone and show us?

Hi Danny, I’ve tried the and / or but that doesn’t work. Where do you want the short video sent?Thanks.

Danny - I have sent a link to two short videos to contact@roonlabs.com as we’re not allowed to upload videos to the web. Let me know if you need anything else. Many thanks.

Hey @johan – Danny and I were just discussing this. Something strange I noticed in your video, that maybe you can clarify.

The top of the tag page says you have 1 album and 2 compositions tagged, but the tag browser says you have 202 items in that tag.

So clearly something’s gone wrong with this tag, and some tagged items are missing.

A couple questions that may help us understand here:

• Do you use a streaming service, local files, or both?
  • Are you doing all your tagging in Roon, or is some of the tagging happening via file tags?
  • Have you changed your storage configuration? Did you move to a new hard drive at any point?
  • If you go into Settings > Library > Library maintenance what numbers are you seeing next to deleted files, unassociated files, and disabled storage locations? (For now, do not click the “Clean up library” button – we just want to know if Roon is unable to locate some of your media)
  • When you’re on the 5 star tag page that says “1 album, 2 compositions” at the top, what happens when you click things on that page? Do you end up on albums and compositions as expected?

Hi Mike, I did notice the 1 album / 2 comps which also confused me.

Answers to your questions as follows:

1. Only use Qobuz streaming, nothing on local drive
  2. All tagging is done in Roon when listening to songs / tracks (don’t use file tags)
  3. No change in storage configuration since I joined Roon a few months ago (my PC is the core)
  4. There is nothing else (no numbers etc) under Library Maintenance apart from the option to Clean up Library
  5. On the 5 star page, when I click on things it takes me to the song marked 5 star (album view). Apart from the first album “Haydn…” - clicking on that takes me to the album, showing the 4 tracks that’s in my library and marked with a filled heart, but none of those tracks are marked 5 star. However, there is a 5 star label just below the Play Now, which I cannot remember giving (I tend to only star tracks / songs). I cannot find the 5 stars on the actual album… This might be the “1 album” it’s picking up on the main page. But just guessing.

When I press Shuffle, it says it will play 188 of the 204 songs (not sure why it’s missing some).

Pressing View all albums, I’m taken to My Albums, showing 132 of 2808 albums (same 132 as on Tags page). That looks fine.

Pressing View compositions, it takes me to a list of my classical compositions with 5 stars selected at the top. However, there’s a combination of hearts filled in and not, that don’t correspond to the album / track when I select those. Similarly, relatively few of those listed compositions have a 5 star rating when I select / play it. Something odd there.

So I summary, selecting the albums on the page looks fine (apart from completeness issue), but things get interesting once I click on:

• View all compositions. Bear in mind that I only give stars to individual tracks / songs (obviously they’re sometimes the same thing as the composition, which is where the 2 might come from…)
  • View all tracks. Per the video.

Hope this helps. Let me know if I can send more videos to help.

Thanks,
Johan
(PS: could I kindly ask that someone removes my surname from my user name - only to show “Johan”)

It does – thanks for taking the time to work through my questions. We’re going to do some more investigation and we will be in touch.

I took care of this as well:

Thanks again!

You’re welcome, thanks for the help.

Hi @johan

We’ll enable diagnostics on your account so we can take a look at this. Can you confirm where your backups are currently stored?

Hi @johan

Tags Issue

I just wanted to confirm that our team is looking into this — We think we might know where this is stemming from, but it’ll take some time to do some testing on this. We’ll be sure to provide an update when we have more information!

Backups Issue
Looking at the diagnostics report, it’s saying that the folder is unavailable, and that’s why it is failing. Can you try moving the backups folder onto the C drive if you have room for it and try to give the restore a go there?

Crackling Sounds

We’ll respond in that thread soon.

1 Like

@dylan thanks, noted and great news re tags. Moved backup folder to C:Drive.

Hi @rDin,

I’m a new Roon user and experiencing the same “4 Star”, 5 “Star” Tags Issue some 16 months after your report (inserted below). I couldn’t respond there as it’s been closed for replies, seemingly without resolution.

Some of my Tags, which worked until 3 week ago, now fails. Oddly, my “3 Star” still works, but not “4 Star” and “5 Star” tags.

Whilst @dylan is kindly investigating mine too, it would appear there remains to be fundamental unresolved issues with Tags, as reported by @Henry_Buckle, @SSt and @Saturn94 in 2019.

Like others, I am now considering a re-tagging exercise, having just spent my first 3 months with Roon setting them up. It’s a huge job, so want to ensure I understand the root cause / solution before redoing. I was just wondering if anyone has been able to resolve their issue as couldn’t find “sustainable” solutions. Apologies if I missed them somewhere, but it’s a bit like searching for a needle…

Any insight would be much appreciated as Tags are such an integral part of the Roon experience.

Thanks in advance!

Issue Reported:

1 Like

Hi @johan

Tags

I can see in our internal tracker that this is still with our QA team, but beyond that, I can’t provide any specific timelines here just yet.

Backups

Did the switch to the C: drive help?

1 Like

Hi @mike @dylan

I am busy re-tagging all my “4 Star” and “5 Star” tracks as these clearly got corrupted and there’s no apparent resolution (notice exact issue has been around since Nov 2019) in the pipeline. In doing so, I figured out where the “1 album, 2 compositions” came from (your earlier comment refers)…

Whereas I mainly now tag tracks, those albums and compositions were earlier tagged “5 Star”. BTW, it’s a hell of job to find those as there’s no way to show “5 Star” albums and compositions separately from the tracks, if that makes sense. That’s because albums and compositions appear to assume their tags from the inherently tagged tracks. Therefore, I had to literally look into each album separately in order to find the ones ‘separately’ tagged “5 Star”.

However, I have also found the following anomalies when viewing “5 Star” tracks via My Albums view + select “5 Star” via Focus (you will recall I couldn’t view the tracks on the Tags page and therefore had to go with this ‘workaround’):

1. Bizarrely, there are some albums listed there that actually have no “5 Star”-tagged tracks, compositions or albums anywhere - so no idea where it gets the tag from (and cannot be from file tags either)
  2. Focus seems to get confused between calling tags “4 Star” and “5 Star” given the integrated Roon 4 & 5 star ratings (which I noticed during filtering exercises)

Hope the further insights help your QA team solve this for everyone’s benefit.

As I’ve said, I’ve decided to invest the time to redo all the 4 Star" and “5 Star” tags as reluctant to continue using Roon without these working properly. Unfortunately this can only be done via the creation of two new tags, rather than merely renaming the existing corrupted tags - so it took 3 days!

1 Like

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, Intel® Core™ i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz, Roon Build 790

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Vodafone Hub / Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Audioengine D1 DAC on PC with 2TB drive, via USB

Description Of Issue

My scheduled backups are not working and return an error (as previously reported). Having moved these to the C:drive as suggested, I have just today (22 April) performed a manual back-up (see “Last successful backup at 10:05:16”) and then tried to restore from that successful back-up. However, it failed again (see “Restore Failed”).

Please help as currently don’t have any restorable backup.

Many thanks.