Sometimes Roon just stops

I have the Roon remote on my Mac, and the Roon server on a Windows 10 machine (which does nothing else). Playback is via a Raspberry Pi running RoonBridge under DietPi which is plugged into a DAC. Sometimes when I’m listening to music, playback just stops mid-track. Pressing play again makes it continue.

This happens with local music and Tidal streams too.

you don’t say if you’re using WIFI for the RPi or where your music is stored…more info will no doubt be needed

Yes, good call, more info never hurts.

OK so the music is on an internal hard drive in the Windows 10 machine running Roon server. The RPi, Windows 10 machine, and Mac are all cabled via ethernet. No wifi. No powerline.

No sleep mode on the core? Was this a problem thats new or worked perhaps flawlessly on the older 1.2 release…if new 1.3 setup has it been this way from day one?

No sleep mode. It just happened again with the latest version of Roon.

I can’t really comment on 1.2 because I was only running it fairly briefly, and it was before I set up the dedicated Windows 10 core machine.

Is there some investigation I should be doing?

@Support 8 days since I reported my problem, and no official response at all. I understand Roon’s model, but I paid a reasonably sum for lifetime subscription, and was hoping for slightly better than this.

Granted, mine isn’t the most serious problem in the world, but it spoils your enjoyment when you’re listening and suddenly the music stops.

Flagging @support for you (you wrote @Support , which doesn’t work)…

Many thanks @Geoff_Coupe

Hey @wintoid – sorry we missed this thread. [quote=“wintoid, post:3, topic:21984”]
OK so the music is on an internal hard drive in the Windows 10 machine running Roon server. The RPi, Windows 10 machine, and Mac are all cabled via ethernet. No wifi. No powerline.
[/quote]

This sounds really solid, so the dropouts are surprising, even if they are somewhat rare. Is the database (meaning your Windows system drive) running on an SSD? That makes a huge difference.

Have you read our documentation on dropouts here? Lots of information there about what’s likely happening, and how to start troubleshooting.

The next time this happens, why don’t you grab us some logs, as described here – we can take a look and see if anything jumps out. In most cases, the logs just tell us that something isn’t happening as fast as we need it to – whether that’s getting data from your storage device to the Core, or the Core delivering audio to your device.

If it’s something more clear cut than that, logs will tell us, so ping us the next time this happens and we’ll take a look.

Thanks!

Thanks @mike . To answer your questions, I bought this Windows 10 server specifically for running Roon server, and put an SSD in it, so yes the database is running off SSD.

It’s not exactly a dropout, because playback stops. It’s like the player decides to pause for some reason. I’ll read the docs you’ve linked, and definitely will capture the logs next time it happens.

Cheers,

Simon

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Gaining Access To Logs