Songs take 30 seconds to play making me nuts!

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus/iMac Pro/KEF Speakers/G Drive External holds all my music files/Tidal subscription/ everything is wired

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Eeos router connected to KEF Speakers and Nucleus all wired to ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

iPhone/iPads for control in other rooms

Description Of Issue

On my iMac pro every time I choose a song, it takes a good thirty seconds for song to start playing. Same thing when skipping a song. Tidal or personal file, same thing. Everything including the KEFS are hard wired to ethernet. I have high speed internet, everything else is fast so don’t think that is the problem. Firewall turned off on iMac. Songs start fine when using Roon on iPad and iPhone. Only happening on my main system with Roon on my iMac Pro/KEFs/Nucleus. Appreciate any help this has been going on for weeks and it’s starting to be really annoying. I have restarted the Nucleus and it does nothing for the problem. Thanks for reading.

Hi @James_Cortez,

Has this always happened or is this a recent change? If it’s recent, was there any change to your setup around the time this started occurring?

Can you confirm how many tracks total you have in your Roon library?

Does this problem only occur when playing to the KEF devices? If you play to System Output of the iMac instead is there any improvement?

Hi Dylan. It’s been a few weeks, no change that I know of but you just prompted me to look at my zones and there are two for KEF. One is UNNAMED but says ''kef lsx" under it and the other is named KEF LSX. I just tried both and the named one still delays but not for as long it seems. When I switch to MAC songs start immediately. Should I delete one of the KEF outputs? Thanks so much for helping.

there’s also two for iMac…both unnamed but one says ''system output" and one says ''imac pro speakers"

oh and I have 35,000 tracks in my library. Thanks

Hi @James_Cortez,

Can you share a screenshot of what you’re seeing under Settings > Audio?

Yep here you go. Had to take two shots.

If you are not using the Airplay zone, I’d disable it.

Ok will do when I get home. Thank you.

seems better! will mess with it some more and report back. Thanks

Hi @James_Cortez,

How are things performing after disabling the Airplay zone, do you still see an improvement? I would disable any unused zones and make sure they all have names set as to avoid confusion. Does your Mac’s speakers (“System Output”) display the same behavior if this issue is still occurring?

seems about 3-5 seconds when starting or skipping songs, which is much better than it was. I have two under ''connected to this mac" 1. System Output and 2. iMac Pro Speakers. Which do I disable? Thanks so much

Hi @James_Cortez.

If you are not using the Mac Pro speakers or System Output, you can disable both. I would also try rebooting both the Core, networking gear and LSX to see if that helps.

Ok will do and let you know. Thanks again for the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.