Sonic Advantage of Using 2nd MacMini as Roon Bridge?

Long story short…I recently replaced a 2010 MacMini with a 2018 MacMini. I was running Roon Core on the 2010 Mini which was connected via USB to my DAC. The 2010 was connected to WiFi with a mesh node nearby to improve WiFi speed.

Since the 2010’s processor is obsolete according to Roon’s minimum system requirements, I retired it for a 2018 MacMini to run Roon Core.

I have since come to understand Roon recommends connecting a Roon Core to one’s internet modem via ethernet. I hope my understanding is correct.

If this is true, then would I hear any sonic benefit by connecting the 2018 MacMini via ethernet to our internet modem, then using the 2010 MacMini as a Roon Bridge connected via WiFi, and connecting the 2010 Mini to my DAC via USB?

I think that’s going to be a maybe for sound quality… but what’s often termed ‘snappiness’ of the UI should be better because of the Ethernet connection to the router.

I think you have everything you need to try it to hand - let us know if it’s better!

run Roon Bridge on the old 2010 mini…wifi is not the best so if possible LAN cable is better but try wifi and if its working you are good to go. sound improvement is subjective normally but it shouldn’t be any worse.

remember in the mini to turn on startup after power fail, auto login for your user name and in the menu bar roon icon turn on launch at startup (right click)

1 Like

Good tips on auto start up and log in.

1 Like

I wonder if it makes sense to use your 2010 Mac Mini as a Roon Bridge. There is a lot of discussion going on saying that the Mac Mini somehow ,pollutes‘ your DAC with noise coming from running many threads in the background. Whether this is true, I don’t really know.
Maybe a better approach would be to run Roon Bridge on Raspberry based systems. I have a USBridge Signature to which my Mac Mini streams. Fabulous set-up, extremely clean. And not so expensive.

I have read those threads. The point is I already own the 2010 Mini which is presently in a box in my office. I could put it to use.

My only question in this thread is if it would provide any sonic benefits by using it as a Roon Bridge and connecting my 2018 Mini to our internet modem via LAN in another room.

I am not seeking advice in this thread about other Bridge devices.

Try it out and you‘ll see. I don’t see why it should not work.

Good luck with your endeavor!

1 Like

You know you want to…

I think reading these forums promotes RoonNervosa…LOL…

My current set-up with a 2018 Mini running Roon and connected to our mesh network via WiFi, and USB to my DAC is running well and sounds great. I think I will leave well enough alone.

:slight_smile:

I would not expect any difference in SQ.

2 Likes

… that might be the first time anyone, ever, on this forum, has said that! :wink:

2 Likes