Sonic Transporter i5 processing speed

Roon recommends 1.3X as the minimum safe processing speed, especially when using DSP functions.

Since I started upsampling to DSD 256 with convolution filters, my STi5 - based core is running at around 2.0-2.2X, and getting pretty warm. Other than the heat, it runs fine and sounds great. Only once has it cut out, when it was located in a warm room and I was running headroom adjustment which brought the speed down to around 1.5X.

But SGC is telling me I need to use DSD 128, instead of 256. processing speed needs to be > 4X. Or I should upgrade my server to their i9 model…

Are they just trying to sell me a new box or should I be avoiding DSD 256?

you probably do not need an i9, at all. An i7 would be fine, and you can do one yourself with an Intel NUC and loading ROCK.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’d prefer to avoid replacing my STi5 if no damage will occur by running it at around 2X.

If you are worried about the heat then you might add better ventilation or a fan which blows over the machine. The only real way to tell is to get a reading of your CPU’s temperature. I would ask St if there is a way to get that reading (maybe in BIOS).

Yes the ST does get quite warm. Nothing smoking or smelling and you can hold your hand on it. I moved it to a cooler room and i think that helps. No audible signs of stress. But the manufacturer now states clearly that 128 is the max, even though my processing speed is 2.1X - -way above the Roon guideline.

Is it a fanless setup? Otherwise, why is St claiming it has a 128 limit? All that 2x means is that Roon is using 50% of 1 core doing the processing.

Have you enabled Parallelize Sigma-Delta Modulator? This would allow another core to munch on the DSP upsampling function, right?
I don’t know if this would have an effect on heat though.

Yes I have

Yes the Sti5 is finless

It isn’t unreasonable to sell you something that can do the job you need it to do. The i9 may be overkill though.

1 Like

Well, he know the thermal properties of his cases used. So, in essence, that is saying the CPU can do the processing but the case/cooling of the unit cannot handle the thermal load.

No of course not, although it might be helpful for the website marketing to clearly state the limitations or capabilities of each product.