SonicOrbiter SE end-of-life?

Just curious: I understand the KEFs aren’t RoonReady or the like, but if you have the SOSE, is there really an issue? Doesn’t it, in effect give you the full Roon experience to the KEFs?

All the sources on the Kef have to be manually switched which is annoying.
Also the SonicOrbiter loses connection when I switch from USB optical and the only thing that gets it to show up again in Roon is a restart of the SonicOrbiter.
If whatever Roon is able to implement to the Kef’s works through Ethernet then I would expect it will sound good, not require a device attached to the speakers, and not require manual switching of sources. This is all conjecture right now though but seems likely.

Update notice for Sonicorbiter 2.3:

While this software and hardware combination is being discontinued we are still updating certain aspects of the operating system. We have an update for RoonReady and MPD/DLNA. Go to Apps / Software Manager and press Update.

SONORE computer audio - ultraRendu | microRendu | Sonicorbiter SE

Any news on this front?

I’m especially focused on a device I can use to run Sonore Roon UPNP bridge to feed a Naim ND5 XS as opposed to tethering a device to the Naim S/PDIF input.

It hasn’t been worked on so sorry no news. Maybe look for used units or promotions that we offer from time to time.

That’s the plan!

Thank you for patiently answering my questions.

Good news, on-going support and updates for the SonicorbiterSE has just been confirmed here SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

My posts says, “…we are providing general support for the SE and it gets updates as needed.” It does not say that we will update the product with the latest updates and releases we have made as Simon suggests in that thread.

Not sure how any of this is news since nothing has changed in this resect. Refer to me post on Aug 17th above.

Sorry, I am just going with what you posted in the other thread where you posted “we are providing general support for the SE and it gets updates as needed.”

I am presently waiting for the updates for the SonicorbiterSE product provided, that they have been made for the other Sonore products.

1 Like