SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

Just flipped the output of SonoreUPnP bridge to LPCM and it still works fine for all formats up to 24/192.
It is displayed by the NDS as PCM for all FLAC as well as unfolded MQA. DSD content is displayed as PCM 176.4kHz, but all plays.

So either there is an issue with the buffers in the ND5XS or the device hosting the SonoreUPnP bridge.

I restarted everything (roon server, ND5XS, Sonore Bridge)…and now it works with LPCM in hi-res. Gremlins I guess…

Thanks Simom

Nice work…enjoy!

Was there any SQ difference between the PCM and LPCM settings?
I would prefer to sending my NDS WAV format for PCM and then handling any DSD as DSD64 using the on-board processing within the NDS.
/Simon.

1 Like

Simon, I haven’t had enough listening time with WAV to compare. You have raised my curiosity, so I’ll experiment and get back with my impressions

A post was split to a new topic: Uptone EtherRegen with SonoreUPnP Bridge

Hello,

I posted following help in auddiphile style forum,

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/29745-sonicorbiter-sonoreupnp-bridge/?do=findComment&comment=1024556

I do have question on Roon aspect of what i’m trying to accomplish, whether there is any point of going further.

So, assuming i can get the SonoreUPnP Bridge to detect my renderer (in this case Astell & Kern AK380, which as a comparison i’ve tried BubbleUPnP on Android and it detects and playback to it fine, few test tracks, 24bit/352.8Khz, native DSD256).

My understanding is that such DLNA/UPnP bridge devices/apps that work with Roon presents to Roon as a Squeezebox device.

If the bridging did work between the UPnP/DLNA renderer and Roon, then from Roon point of view, is there Squeezebox device setting that allows Roon to play (natively) DSD64/128/256 and up to 24 bit/352.8 Khz on the renderer (in this case Astell & Kern AK380)?

Or, is there limitation with Roon support for Squeezebox devices that does not support native DSD’s, and only up to certain PCM?

I wasn’t sure if Roon can support renderer that can be treated as pass-through, no conversions needed since AK380 shouldn’t need any conversions in front.

From the BubbleUPnP screen for the renderer, shows following,

And in BubbleUPnP setting for the renderer, i have turned off all conversions, and check for mime type,

Thanks much.

Squeezebox can handle up to 192/24 and I think you can send DSD64 via DOP. So if you use the bridge those would be your limits over the network.

And as usual, Roon does not officially support software sqeezelite endpoints, so be aware.

For the NDS, I can process traffic up to 24/192, presented as WAV to the NDS, and DSD64 via DOP, and presented as native DSD to the NDS.
This minimizes any DSP processing by Roon and the NDS for these formats.

24/384, 24/352.8, DSD128, DSD256 and any MQA encoded files need pre-processing in the Roon Core.
For MQA, the 1st unfold is to a max of 24/96

Simon.

Thanks.

Rats… I was afraid of that.

So, best case scenario with AK380 renderer as Squeezebox cannot be driven by Roon for native DSD. And up to 192/24.

Rats…

Okay, good to know, which means all these software dlna/upnp bridges to Roon are unsupported schemes.

I was looking to present AK380 renderer to one of these software squeezelite endpoints and in turn be remotely “controlled” by Roon (matter of convenience and quality) using my existing Roon library.

Sounds like i “could” get close but not playback DSD natively and up to 192/24.

As expected, searching online for “roon dlna upnp” comes up with page on RAAT vs DLNA, hence Roon does not internally support DLNA renderer’s.

Rats…

I suppose this may work, i.e.turn AK380 into USB DAC, cable up to something (probably a Windows box to use AK380 DAC driver) that is running Roon Bridge, and control AK380 and listen from it using Roon. Then i’m fighting the usual USB signal path. Urgh…

Is the AK380 not an Android device? I know Roon on Android does not yet exploit the full ability of those devices capable of more than the basic 48k ceiling. But perhaps it will be in the future.

Yes Roon does not test any software sqeezelite implementations when doing updates and will not guarantee that future updates will work. Only Squeezebox hardware.

I would not call it a “scheme”, but, if you are using such a device, that manufacturer will have to support the implementation.

I think you are right, i.e. AK380 uses some derivative of Android as its OS but has no means to load Android apps, eg. Roon Remote.

Thanks. So, even in the best of circumstance (and i don’t know what Squeezebox hardware’s are/were out there), Roon has built-in limitation for supporting up to 192/24 and DSD64 (DoP) on these Squeezebox “hardware’s” ?

Everything else is unsupported playback.

Is that correct?

That I cannot comment on as I do not use Squeezelite implementations. However, Henry I think answered your question above. And from forums of Innuos users, that does seem to be the limitations which make sense since they are the limits of Squeezebox hardware .

Thank you.

I’ve moved on to my plan B, which is to use AK380 as USB DAC and hooked up to Windows 10 PC (laptop) with 64-bit Roon Bridge through the vendor provided (high quality) ASIO driver (Windows driver only) installed for the DAC.

Little cumbersome, but gets the job done to playback native DSD256 and up to 352.8/24 PCM from Roon.

Would have preferred to go over the wifi on AK380 to control it ultimately from Roon but sounds like the bridge approach is a non starter. And being AK380, don’t see that microrendu has support for it.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Hardware for Roon Bridge