SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

@ragwo @struts
I see. So the UPnP bridge runs squeezelite as part of it’s code, but without an option to set squeezelite parameters. The command set for UPnP bridge probably doesn’t include squeezelite commands anyway. I used squeezelite with my Devialet some years ago and know it quite well. Without access to a cli there is not much one can do.
Can BubbleUPnP send output to Dialog? Could Bubble receive from the UPnP bridge and then send to Dialog? Just a thought…

In Roon Settings there was, not sure if it’s still there, a setting to force FLAC streaming. If you can find it give it a try.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken Roon defaults to Flac streaming to squeezeboxes, but you can select PCM if you want to. So the setting is still there.

Interesting. There is no setting to select FLAC or PCM that I can see, but there is a setting to enable/disable FLAC Compression, which is enabled by default. When I disable this it won’t play anything. Tries (i.e. the “equalizer bars” beside the track number dance for a few seconds), fails and skips to the next track (repeat)…

That’s it then. Roon will send PCM when ‘FLAC Compression’ is disabled. LMS has a similar setting. It defines whether the server or the player decodes the Flac stream. My guess is that Roon re-encodes to flac before it streams to squeezeboxes. Therefore it makes sense to avoid the flac compression - if it works that is :slight_smile:

From earlier in this thread, the settings in the SonoreUPnP that work well with my NDS Network Player, through the UPnP input.
Bridge%20settings
Roon%20settings

This gives WAV playback for any PCM formats (FLAC, ALAC, AAC, MP3), and native DSD64 for any DSD formats (in .dsf files)
Any other configurations I get FLAC playback for PCM and DSD.

I run the SonoreUPnP Bridge on an UltraRendu with UltraCap LPS 1 with Roon Core, running on NUC5i3.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Simon.

Actually I think the Roon device setup has changed in the 1.5/1.6 release, however I haven’t adjusted the settings.
What I do find, however, that if there are playback problems, check the Advanced settings for Max sample and bit depth, as they can get reset to default by Roon.

1 Like

Thank you @simon_pepper. Per my last post Roon won’t play anything through the Phantoms if FLAC Compression is disabled. There aren’t really that many obviously relevant parameters to fiddle with here so the number of permutations isn’t that great. I think I have tried them all by now but I will put together a list and do a more systematic test.

1 Like

I am testing this now on the UPnP input of my 250CI. The mR is a 1.4. No problems so far all the way up to 24/192.

The 250 UPnP turned up in the mR UPnP settings straight away. Works both with an USB DAC connected to the mR and without. I paused playback in Roon, rebooted mR and resumed playback with no problems.

I thought that the 250 UPnP would behave similarly to Dialog, but I experienced no instability or stops during the couple of hours I used on the test. The UPnP code running on the CI board is likely more mature than the one on Dialog. I did not do any critical listening or comparison while doing this.

2 Likes

Thanks for trying to help @ogs. Unfortunately the UPnP implementations in Dialog and Expert seem to be completely different. The UPnP renderer in the Dialog is still in beta (two years and counting, introduced in DOS 1.12.0 in May 2017) which is more than likely part of the problem here.

And of course all of this is just a workaround for the real solution - Devialet making Dialog Roon Ready.

Soooo frustrating with Devialet. Such great hardware, if they only had half the software chops of outfits like Sonore they’d be unstoppable…

Yes, that will be nice when it arrives. Let’s hope RAAT on Dialog is better than what’s currently running on Experts. Roon/AIR sounds better (to my ears…)

Email me at sonorejr@gmail.com and I’ll have a look at it to see if I can get it going.

2 Likes

You got mail!

Thank you very much @Jesus_Rodriguez for excellent service and help even if there was no solution in this case. I really appreciate you taking the time trying to resolve this issue!

1 Like

So what is the outcome? Can the Devialet Phantom be connected to Roon via a UPnP player like UPnPBridge, or is this not possible due to Phantom’s limitations?

1 Like

And huge thanks from me too @Jesus_Rodriguez !

No, @grossmsj we weren’t successful. Not saying it can’t be done but nothing we tried was successful in overcoming the skipping issues. :frowning_face:

1 Like

I’m sorry this didn’t work out guys. Would there be any mileage in contacting Devialet to get UPnP working properly?

I don’t think so, taking customer feedback seriously isn’t the Devialet way. There’s rumour about a new software in September, the first one in three years. Hopefully they will make the Phantom or Dialog RAAT.

Three years is woefully slow for software evolution which is sad for loyal users but all is forgiven if they do make progress in the right direction!

Sorry, not forgiven at all. Three years of broken promises isn’t forgotten that easily.

++ @ragwo It is possible that BubbleUPnP Server in LAN Media Server proxying mode https://www.bubblesoftapps.com/bubbleupnpserver2/docs/features_and_requirements.html could make Sonore’s UPnP Bridge work with Phantoms. Bubble is listed by Devialet as compatible with Phantoms (Dialog).

Whether this is worth the time and effort compared to waiting for a new Dialog firmware with RAAT support is something else…