SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

Thanks!
Have tried with the Bubble UPnP server on the MicroRendu while making the Phantom an OpenHome renderer. It worked for about one song, and then the skipping started again.

Does this work at all, or differently if you took the Dialog out of the system? I obviously have a hateful bias about Dialog?
Thank you and @struts for being the guinea pigs on this. I was going to order a Sonore UPnPBridge during their Fourth of July sale, but sort of have to lay low on the audio spend these days for sake of my marriage. It all sounded so simple and elegant, but Devialet once again throws a wrench in the works.

I had tried a SonicOrbiter SE with my Phantom Silver years ago, using a different stab at it using RoonReady as the interface (if I recall) and could never get it to work for more than a short period of time. I had believed the Dialog was necessary and came to the conclusion Dialog was part of the problem. Once Airplay worked I took Dialog out of the system and my life became easy. But I still would like to get as much sonic benefit as possible. The Phantoms are awesome musically.

It does not seem to work. The Sonore Bridge doesn’t register as a Media server with BubbleUPnP server or maybe BubbleUPnP server doesn’t see the Sonore Bridge as a server. At any rate it doesn’t work unfortunately.

Good priorities! The wife is always right, and if she is isn’t, she still is at the end of the day. I haven’t taken the Dialog out of the system, I need it for stereo playback and PLC. I might try when I get some spare time. If you can avoid Airplay I would recommend that. A Chromecast Audio connected to toslink input sounds much better IMO. The treble distortion introduced by Devialets Airplay implementation is not ear pleasing. If you enable the low latency mode of the Phantom you can use it as any other active speaker. The only thing you need to be able to do is to adjust the volume on the toslink output on your streamer.

1 Like

So quick query about the Ethernet cable running to the Rendu device running the SonoreUPnP Bridge - directionality - from the switch towards the Rendu device, as you would if you using it as a NAA with an USB output, or back from the Rendu device to the switch as if the Rendu device is a source?

Simon

A bridge is both a source and destination. All that is required is the Ethernet connection. Point Roon at it as a Squeezebox destination. Point it at your DNLA renderer. All done via the Ethernet connection.

Yes, I get that - but when using Ethernet Streaming cables that have a directionality to them, do you use the cable orientated ‘to the device running the SonoreUPnP bridge’ or ‘from the device running the SonoreUPnP bridge’.
I believe I am starting to answer my own question, if the data is truly flowing to & then from the UPnP Bridge application - preferrence given to it as a source, within the overall data flow.
Thanks, Simon

I went around and put ferrite beads on my patch cables. On the cable to the bridge I would have kept it very short or put beads at both ends. In my view Ethernet is fully duplex and the bridge would make use of that. I’d use a directional cable for a full endpoint but not for bridge use. Not that it would make a huge difference in a normal domestic environment but only as a matter of engineering principle.

It was just I have upgraded my ‘Switch to NDS’ connection to a Chord Sarum Tuned Array Streaming cable, which is directional and in the switch->NDS position.
I was then reusing a Chord Anthem Streaming cable from switch to UltraRendu, which runs the SonoreUPnP Bridge. I have it in ‘Bridge to switch’ direction as source, but was just wondering if anyone else had looked/thought about this?

I can also use the UltraRendu as an NAA with a USB output, and then a XMOS USB->S/PDIF convertor to the Digital input on the NDS - but this is a just a secondary playback path over the Bridge.
Hence treating the UltraRendu as source, rather than destination.

Thanks,
Simon.

2 Likes

Have you upgraded the speakers to DOS2? Maybe the UPnP implementation is refined? I’m not sure if I’ll update, I need the low latency mode which DOS2 doesn’t support.

Hi @ragwo, Apologies for delayed reply. Yes, I finally upgraded to DOS 2 last weekend after a couple of weeks of hesitation caused by all the noise on Devialet chat about problems with stereo syncing etc. I finally decided that I am an inveterate neophile that has always been first to upgrade and try new stuff (and have all the scars on my back to prove it) so why should I pretend to change now? :upside_down_face:

The upgrade was painless and the system has worked without problems since using AirPlay and SonoreUPnP Bridge. However I have only got the latter to work with standard resolution and not yet with any hi rez material. I have not succeeded at all in connecting via BubbleUPnP so can’t confirm either way if that works, although I have been extremely busy and not had time to take a proper run at it so I would not call this conclusive by any means.

Please let me know if you hear of anybody who is successful and I will do likewise.

1 Like

Thanks for the update!
I’ll hold off updating until the low latency mode is implemented in DOS2. Good to know that Sonore UPnP bridge is working better with DOS2.
I’ve managed to get Bubble UPnP working on the upgraded Silvers of my brother in law, using my phone as player. Didn’t have to do anything special, the speakers showed up as an UPnP device in Bubble.

@ragwo Have you managed to connect to the DOS 2 Phantoms from Roon by any chance? My DOS 2 Phantoms appear as renderers in BubbleUPnP but not in the “networked” section of the Roon Audio settings. My Devialet Expert does. Hmmm…

I have to say that my first impression of DOS 2 is favourable. Nice interface, basic functions have worked without glitches (for me at least) and everything seems stable. Really looking forward to Devialet implementing RAAT in DOS 2!

No, I haven’t. I’ve not upgraded my speakers yet, still waiting for direct optical mode for DOS2. I’ve only tried Bubble UPnP and DOS2 for about an hour at my brother in law. He’s mostly streaming Spotify and hasn’t got Roon.

Well, I spent a good couple of hours trying to get Roon to see my DOS 2 Phantoms as a UPnP renderer only to eventually remember that Roon doesn’t support UPnP. That’s why we started down this SonoreUPnP Bridge route in the first place. Doh! My memory is good but short. :woozy_face:

Anyway, I reinstalled the SonoreUPnP Bridge on my sonicTransporter, pointed it at the Phantoms, set the output to WAV and presto, music! It now successfully plays 16/44.1, 24/96 and 24/192 and certainly plays longer than 45 seconds - but unfortunately it still cuts eventually. For instance I tried a Haydn Symphony in 16/44.1 from Qobuz. On track 1 it cut after about 2:14, track 2 1:57, track 3 1:54 etc. So progress, but not there yet. Still, as the Flight of the Concords so insightfully observed “two minutes in heaven is better than one minute in heaven”…

Every cloud has a silver lining however and in this case it is that my Devialet “hand cream” Remote, which resolutely refused to pair with my Phantoms on DOS 1, is now working with no problem. Yes, I now have a working knob!! :partying_face:

@ogs @Henry_McLeod @simon_pepper @grossmsj @Jesus_Rodriguez fyi.

1 Like

Brief update. I updated my Audirvana installation to 3.5.26 and configured it to stream from Qobuz via UPnP to the Phantoms. The same 16/44.1 Haydn Symphony test tracks that are cutting off after about 2 minutes/track when streamed via Roon/SonoreUPnP Bridge are playing on without problem via Audirvana so this just might be a SonoreUPnP Bridge issue.

@Jesus_Rodriguez please let me know if you would like me to perform any further troubleshooting here. I will be happy to help.

1 Like

Thanks for the update.
You are brave. I’m lying here in the weeds until all the inevitable (for Devialet) problems clear up. My RoonBridge works so well right now I’m not really sure what I might gain from going over to DOS2.
Oh yeah, now I remember. The whole Phantom system being forgotten for no reason and having to be re-installed for the 300th time in Spark. :frowning_face:

A summary of my initial experiences with DOS 2 here. For my use cases at least it seems like a major step forwards.

1 Like

Update to DOS2 today. It was reasonably painless and everything works fine!
My ‘hand cream’ remote had worked before, but is much more responsive now.
Thanks for the positive reinforcement @struts!

1 Like

Hi @Jesus_Rodriguez,
Do you have any Feedback regarding Burmester 150, 151, 111? If not, is there any way to test if it works before ordering a device?
(BubbleUPNP, sees the device)
Thanks a lot!
Tom