SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

This application was developed primarily to support the Sonore Rendu and Signature Series Rendu. These are Ethernet to SPDIF/i2s units that we made in the past that do not otherwise support Roon. BTW it works very well on these devices. We knew that other devices could be supported and some work fine as well. However, other devices may have issues that are outside of our scope and may not be addressed. We are taking Linn support seriously though and will try to resolve that soon, but that interface has some weird issues. Anyway, USB to SPDIF or USB to analog converter are always options.

Here is the low cost option I mentioned above to that runs the SonoreUPnP Bridge:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonoreupnp-bridge

Having already purchased the mucroRendu I now need to make it work, as Iā€™ve said I think it brings a lot to the party as far as sound quality goes, the transparency and atmospherics being the qualities Iā€™ve enjoyed the most. Iā€™ll be traveling away from home over the next two months so this is not urgent. Once youā€™ve sorted the problems with Linn playback will you be taking a look at the issues with Naim and the UPnP playback problem? I realise that each manufacturer of has itā€™s own quirks when used with your products and I would expect youā€™re putting in a lot of hours trying to fix them, but I think you will get a lot of support from Naim customers in the long run, besides the Naim app is somewhat clunky compared to Roon.
If no solutions is found of course Iā€™ll get the USB to SPDIF converter but would prefer to use via UPnP.
I hope you enjoy a well deserved break over Christmas.
Regards,
John.

We are specifically looking at Linn because it has a unique interface. Iā€™m not sure at this point that we will spend much more time trying to fix every UPnP device.

Update:

SonoreUPnP Bridge 1.0.4 was released today. Please update the unit and continue testing with it.

Need feedback from Linn and Naim users.

Thanks very much, Jesus!

I can confirm that v1.0.4 is working with my Akurate DSM (Linn) at 16/44.1. A few quirks remain, though:

1. Each time I start or reboot the Cubox, the volume of my DSM is reset (via the network, apparently) to its maximum level, with easily imaginable startling effect. I think I can use Konfig to reduce the maximum permissible volume level on the DSM as a short-term work-around.

2. Iā€™ve only had limited time to experiment, but playing 24/192 content is unreliable for me (I will experiment further to see if, for example, 24/96 material causes the same issues). For now, when I select a 24/192 file, it may or may not play. If I queue up an entire 24/192 album, Roon goes through the queue, but just does not play some songs at all before moving to the next one, and at best will play only a few seconds of the songs it does start to play. Since I have much more material in 16/44.1 than in higher resolutions, this is not a massive problem ā€“ the bigger problem is that once this happens (i.e., once Iā€™ve tried to play 24/192 material), the system becomes unreliable for 16/44.1 material I try to play ā€“ some files will be skipped, some will play only for a few seconds before advancing to the next song in the queue, and some files will play normally. If I then reboot the Cubox, 16/44.1 material will again be played normally (but at maximum volume, if I donā€™t remember to turn down the volume first).

I hope this feedback is helpful.

What firmware do you have on your Linn Device.

The Akurate DSM is running firmware version 4.54.135; Konfig reports that this is the latest version available.

I donā€™t think it should matter, but the DSM feeds its output into an Akurate Exaktbox, which is running firmware version 16.0. I see that there is now an update available for the Exaktbox, so I will install that over the weekend (but donā€™t think it should change anything about how the DSM works).

Itā€™s working fine here with that firmware. I another tester is reporting no issues with 192kHz playback so it could be an issue with your network that we donā€™t understand.

Thanks. Iā€™ll keep playing with it, but everything is connected via Ethernet to the same hub, so the network is pretty simple and robust.

Another Linn beta tester reported that increasing the Roon buffer helped with playback. Iā€™m not using additional buffer here, but it might be worth trying. He also reported that albums are playing straight through if he did not press next during playback.

Some usage tips with Linn devices: Wait for music to play before entering another skip or seek command (avoid trying to ā€˜skip aheadā€™ by tapping ā€˜nextā€™ multiple times).

@Jesus_Rodriguez Thanks for the heads up. Will test on Naim when I get home and report back

Hi Jesus,

v1.0.4 is generally working well on my microRendu which feeds a Naim NAC-N 272.

However, DSD files wonā€™t play. When I then select a non DSD file nothing plays until I reboot the microRendu.

Another odd quirk is once the microRendu is rebooted the 272 goes too maximum volume. Ouch!!

1.04 working fine for me with Naim Unitiqute 2, both Tidal tracks and songs from my library playing fine all the way through.

Bridge is installed on ST i5, with settings 96khz + WAV

Nick

Spoke too soon, it was fine for first few tracks, it has just jumped ahead to the next track . I will continue to investigate and see if I can detect a pattern

@Jesus_Rodriguez Ok, here are the results of more testing v1.04

A couple of other observations:

• Naim UQ2 display briefly shows a different UPNP server when skipping between tracks (suggesting that Squeezebox UPNP connection is lost momentarily) (this only happens when there is a problem)
  • When last track from library fails to play, the Roon radio feature also fails to start

Hope this helps
Regards
Nick

That is promising. I canā€™t tell you if your device will play DSD, but if it doesnā€™t you may have to convert the stream to PCM. As for the volume, it should follow the volume setting in Roon.

That is interesting.

Jesus, how does one increase the Roon buffer when using UPnP Bridge?

Iā€™ve been playing with this more, but still cannot get it to work reliably with files of higher resolution than 16/44.1. Not such a huge problem in itself, but once it chokes on a higher-resolution file, it also wonā€™t work reliably with 16/44.1 content until I reboot the SOSE.

I previously had Roon accessing an HDD full of music via the network. Given your comment that there may be network issues at play, I moved the HDD to the computer running Roon (connected via USB), to reduce potential network issues. This doesnā€™t seem to have had any effect for better or worse.

Good news on the volume front ā€“ as you correctly pointed out, UPnP Bridge allows Roon to directly control the Linn DSMā€™s volume. The reason my DSM was being set to full volume was that Roon was set at 100% volume when I selected UPnP Bridge as the output device.

@Jesus_Rodriguez 1.04 test on Naim Mu-Soā€¦router restart, Roon server restart, Sonicorbiter SE restart and unfortunately there is no change. Playing single track stops 10-30 secs before end. Playing album stops on last track 10-30 secs before end. Your efforts are very much appreciated and Iā€™m sure youā€™ll find a solution. My temporary fix is to add a silent track to the end of the play queue. All other functions are fine and generally pleased with the SQ that Sonicorbiter SE provides. Thanks Jesus