SonoreUPnP Bridge (beta)

You don’t need to reboot the unit because you can start and stop the application from the web interface. We have two different ways to test Linn support and 192 is playing here. We are still tweaking things in respect to Linn and might have another release in January.

Noted. Maybe some of the work on Linn will rub off on your Naim:)

Thanks for your work on this, Jesus. You’re very close now, and I’m sure you’ll get it fully sorted soon. I will let you know if I am able to figure out more specifically what triggers the failures.

Hi,
Is the UPnP Bridge product available to download and run on a RaspberryPi or any other small Linux platform?
Or do you have to buy a Sonore platform?

Happy to perform extensive testing with my Naim NDS for you.

I have been running Roon alongside my Naim setup, for music library management, search & discovery either within my library or with Tidal etc. for over a year, being initially part of the Roon beta testers.
I like the fact you can locate and access the source location of tracks, so you can adjust the metadata tags so your UPnP indexing is then correct.
I use Asset on a RaspberryPi as UPnP server & the Naim app as Controller.

However the ability to have the Roon app as the controller, would be excellent. I would need to invest in a NUC to run the core, but then changing my laptop to run as a client/end-point & iOS app as controller with the UPnP bridge as the end-point serving the NDS over UPnP.

Can you define the format served to be WAV for all PCM files (FLAC, ALAC, AAC/MP3) and native DSD for dsf/dff and DoP formats. This is how I have Asset configured in terms of transcoding as the Naim players sound better served with WAV.

Also will the Bridge handle MQA playback, i.e. unpack the MQA format and serve the full Hi-Res format over UPnP? As that would be killer.

Thanks,
Simon

The SonoreUPnP Bridge is only available on the products listed above and it will not run on a RaspberryPi. Currently all PCM is streamed as WAV. DSD64 is streamed as DoP and everything else needs to be converted to PCM. MQA unpacking needs to happen at the DAC.

Ok, many thanks for the clarification.

I will look into the SonoreUPnP Bridge, however the Shipping to Dublin, Ireland @ $60 for a $165 product is a bit off-putting. Plus I need to look at a NUC and the RCK threads to establish a Roon Core. I am currently just using a Laptop as both RAAT and End-point, purely for Music Library Management - all playback is via the Asset UPnP Server and Naim Network Player.

BTW There is much interest in this solution within the Naim forum in this solution - I think if you could solve bridging Roon and the Naim product suite to provide the Roon experience, there are many users who would go this route.

Simon.

Tips:

General
-Shutdown all other controllers when you are using the SonoreUPnP Bridge and Roon.

Linn/Naim
-Wait for music to play before entering another skip or seek command
-Avoid trying to ‘skip ahead’ by tapping ‘next’ multiple times

Which device do you suggest to use with the Linn DS?

For use with a DS, I would just go for the cheapest device that runs the software, which seems to be this:

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/products/sonoreupnp-bridge

In an ideal world, I would just license the software from Sonore and run it on hardware I already own, but that does not appear to be an option. At the moment, I am therefore using this device:

http://www.sonore.us/Sonicorbiter.html

since some of its other functionality could be useful to me in the future in a different system (if Linn ends up implementing RAAT support in our DSes, rendering the UPnP Bridge unnecessary).

Update:

SonoreUPnP Bridge 1.0.5 was released today. Please update the unit and continue testing with it.

This update contains additional Linn fixes.

@StuartB Does it work now :sunny:

I am eager to find out…unfortunately, I won’t be able to test it until next week, since I am traveling this week. I will report my results here once I’ve had a chance to try it out.

Unfortunately, at least in my setup, I’m still not having any luck with this. I’ve upgraded to 1.0.5, but am having problems similar to those with 1.0.4, but even worse in my case. The first album I tried to play (a normal CD-resolution album from Tidal) skipped the first song, but started playing the second song correctly. I stopped that album, and every album I have tried to play since then simply won’t play at all – Roon shows each song starting for a few seconds, then moves to the next song, but no audio is actually played via the system. If I play a single song, rather than an album, it similarly fails after loading for a few seconds. This is true with both CD-resolution and higher-resolution files, and whether the files are stored locally or sourced from Tidal. I’ve restarted the bridge app a few times since installing 1.0.5, but this has not helped. I’ve only played with this for about 20 minutes so far, so I will keep fiddling and will report back if anything improves.

(To the extent it’s helpful, I have verified that I don’t have general network or Roon problems, since Roon can play all of these files to all other zones without problem (including to a Raspberry Pi running Roon Bridge that is attached to the same Linn DSM device with which I’m trying to use the UPnP Bridge.)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I’d be happy to provide any further information that might be helpful in diagnosing and resolving the issues.

have also upgraded to 1.05 and would agree that more unreliable
plays well if tracks loaded and left but tends to skip tracks (often a whole playlist) if any changes made
also plays up when re-started after period of inactivity + needs sonore to be rebooted to capture tracks again
still think we must be close…and hope you’re not going to abandon the ongoing improvements
using klimax dsm and active speakers

Similarly to others I am finding 1.05 problematic, and a regression from the previous version when using naim gear.

I have been unable to get a track to play at all, with it typically skipping ahead to the next track, or stopping if only 1 track in the queue.

Update:

SonoreUPnP Bridge 1.0.6 was released today. Please update the unit and continue testing with it.

This update contains additional Linn fixes.

SONORE computer audio - Rendu | microRendu | Sonicorbiter SE

Progress!

I only had 10 minutes or so to play with 1.0.6 before heading to work this morning, but everything I tried worked without any problems. Local files (at CD-resolution and 24/176) and Tidal files (at CD-resolution and 24/48 MQA-encoded) both played correctly, with no skipping ahead or stopping, transitions from one track in the queue to the next worked fine, and so did the transport buttons (forward and back arrows). I will play with this more when I can, but this is a huge step forward.

Thanks, Jesus!

On my naim UQ2, i’m seeing some improvement over v1.05, but the previous issue (from v1.04) of tracks not completing is still present i’m afraid.

v1.04 is still the best beta version I have used with naim gear
Nick

We had some friends over last night and spent a few hours listening to all sorts of stuff (who even knew there was such a thing as a Swiss blues singer?) from my local library and from Tidal, while drinking more wine than was strictly necessary. The UPnP Bridge worked without problem all evening with my Linn Akurate DSM.

Roon and/or Linn really should build this compatibility directly into their products, but thanks again, Jesus, for doing what neither Roon nor Linn have managed to achieve.

1 Like

We are going to have a look at Naim next…

1 Like