Roon Core Machine

Roon running on Intel NUC 10i7, 8G RAM, 250 + 1TB SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Aries G1 streamer, Naim Superuniti, PMC twenty5 24’s. Sonos 1. Naim Mu-so

Number of Tracks in Library

14,000 tracks + Qobuz

Description of Issue

I have a Sonos 1 connected through WiFi to Roon server. About 2 to 3 times every hour the service drops out (mainly streaming radio 4) and I have to hit the play icon on roon to restart. Also I get some small drop outs where it seems I miss up to a second of speech - odd word gets missed. This doesn’t happen on any other device (Mu-so or Aries - although I have a separate issue with Aries which I will deal with on separate post).

I wondered if it was WiFi issue so I moved from BT smarthub + Ubiquiti AC lite to the smarthub running without wifi connected to a tp-link Deco mesh network (running as Access point) with one of the units right next to the Sonos 1. Didnt make any difference.

So can anyone help with any suggestions of things I can try to localise the problem? Also is there anyway of automatically restarting Sonos 1 when a drop out occurs?

Thanks, Nigel

Hey @Nigel_Collins,

Thank you for getting in touch. We’ve received other reports of this and have been working to find the cause. Can you please tell us if these dropouts only occur when streaming BBC stations to your Sonos devices?

I’ll be watching for your response, thanks!

Hi Jamie - I have only noticed it on BBC streams - when I stream Qobuz it doesn’t appear to drop out. With BBC I also get momentary drop outs and missing short period of speech as if the digital delay shortens. Thanks Nigel

I have experienced this issue when playing BBC radio via Roon on a Sonos Play 5 Gen 1. Using TuneIn via Sonos OS works perfectly.

Thanks Miles, I can change to using the Sonos app until / if the problem using Roon gets sorted. Of course it’s always possible that it’s not a Roon issue.

I think I might move my Sonos into same room as Naim, connect to same Mesh WiFi and see if problem still occurs with just the Sonos

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.