1 Sonos Port
1 Sonos Move
1 Pair Sonos One
1 Sonos Play 1 Gen 2
All connected via Wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

27’000

Description of Issue

Connection to Sonos devices get very regularly lost. Connection to Airplay Sonos compatible devices is fine. Quality on Sonos is better and I don’t have all my Sonos devices compatible with Airplay.
I opened a case on April 8th, 22.
AceRimmer Community moderator answered at the time “I have moved your post here as it is a known issue that is being worked upon actively”
Any news on this issue.

1 Like

Norris I am away now but it was still working perfectly before I went away.
I am definitely thinking there is something related to Mesh networks. I was not expecting going back to the Boost and SonosNet to improve things as this is what broke things early on.

I will be happy to help debug and supply logs when you are ready to do more work.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

MAC OS Monterey, Nucleus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Wifi – Xfinity router plus eero for coverage

Connected Audio Devices

Bluesound & Naim speakers

Roon doesn’t see Sonos SL1 speakers

Number of Tracks in Library

10,000 tracks

Description of Issue

In the audio section of settings, Sonos SL1 speakers on same wifi network don’t show in list of devices – Bluesound and Naim speakers do show (also on same network)

John, glad to see you back. Are your Sonos speakers using SonosNet or attached directly to your WiFi or Ethernet network? Roon and Sonos seem to work best when SonosNet is not used.

1 Like

Hi Robert They’re on my wifi network – they appear on Airplay along with the other speakers

Do they appear again / become available to enable again if you reboot your core?

This sounds like the Sonos issue thst has been around for a year now and appears to affect users in random fashion.

No permanent resolution unfortunately. I sold my last 2 play one couple of weeks back as got tired of it all. Just have one play 5 left now (from what was a whole house Sonos system 3 years ago) which is just connected via airplay.

See these threads, there are some temporary solutions, temporary being the key word:

1 Like

Re-booting has no effect – thanks for the links!

But they are visible as AirPlay endpoints from within Roon? Do the SL1s have the most recent firmware update?

SL 1s have latest firmware – they are visible from Airplay directly, but are not visible as Airplay end points from within Roon – Bluenote & Naim are visible from both Airplay directly and from within Roon

Generally rebooting the Roon server brings it back for several hours. Rebooting the Sonos doesn’t make any difference.

After a year of frustration with Roon and Sonos, I finally gave up yesterday and I put the Sonos Boost back in the network to re-introduce SonosNet. It took several hours ally device’s were back working in Sonos and are still here almost a day later.

If you have modern Sonos I would recommend using Airplay if you continue to have problems.

1 Like

Same here since few months.
Sonos devices disappears from Roon few times after rebooting the core (Synology RS3617xs+).
I have to use Airplay.
Raat devices and Squeezebox have no trouble.

1 Like

Sadly my fix only lasted for two weeks.
A new version of Roon along with Sonos updates has left it as broken as before.
Considering my next option

So odd, my Sonos kit just trundles along and it’s the original z series stuff. One is in the garage on my wireless edge.

1 Like

Yes just had another user complain about the same thing in another thread just now.

Pretty sure it is related to Mesh networks and discovery protocol myself. I don’t think it affects that many user’s and did not affect me until 1.8 release.

I did a lot of work on getting logs for Roon and working through the process.

I got it all working again for about 2 weeks and it was great and then gone again after the latest 2.0 beta and the latest Sonos updates.

Roon are very aware of this, but not had the time/resources to put any time into debugging it yet.
Hopefully one day…

I have the most basic mesh BT whole home so maybe I’ll fight my upgrade-itis a bit longer :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

To be fair the BT Mesh is pretty good and does not try to be too clever.
I need to find the energy for another rebuild and see how that goes, or get rid of my remaining Sonos and go RAAT only (but that is another 4 zones).

I am already well on the way to that, but it’s quite an expense replacing some well functioning Play 3 stereo pairs with a pair of LSX II’s and that is what I think I will be looking at some point in the near future. I then have the conservatory room (2x Play 1 on nice stands) and the kitchen to go as well, though that is linked with a Move and it has Airplay so it makes a good combination.
I would prefer to make it reliable again and take my time on swapping out

I have 2 Sonos Fives in stereo. I experienced something similar last week. I went fully wireless with them. Now, I’m sure these have 3 Wi-Fi antenna. 1 for 2.4ghz, 1 for 5ghz and 1 for 2.4ghz Sonos-net.

My troubles related to mainly the Sonos app as well as Roon. I normally have an external streamer via DAC plugged into one 3.5mm socket on the left Five.

Streaming direct via Sonos app played nothing. Via external streamer, played only from the left speaker. As soon as I reconnected the Ethernet to the setup (right) did it all start working. I’m fairly sure my issues was Sonos related.

If adding the Sonos Boost cured the issues you @Michael_Harris had, then I feel the issue could be Sonos related. It could be trouble with the Sonos backhauling on the same antenna.

The Fives supposedly have 5ghz but I’ve never seen them on it. Even when forced via with UniFi setup menu.

Airplay will work as it’s one way traffic.

Many will disagree with me, but my opinion is that these days with streaming speakers, Roon cores and all things internet based you have 2 choices with your network.

1. keep it simple. 1 box solutions central to all devices

2. complex. Dedicated router, switches and access points on a wired network

I had lots of issues with consumer grade mesh systems. The only one that I found ok was the original Google Wi-Fi 3 puck set. It was better when wired on the backhaul. Freed up Wi-Fi throughout.

Lots of kit and £££

1 Like

It fixed it for only 2 weeks sadly Lewis.
I took the core out and went fully wireless when 1.8 came out as my Sonos were wired and they were highjacking the routing for SonosNet use, when it was 10% of the speed of the Mesh I have in place.
I completely feel this is Sonos caused and initially happened to a number of us after a Sonos update.

I don’t have time at the moment but I will do another rebuild of the Sonos network in the near future and try again

1 Like