Sonos Playback issues with multiple rooms

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon (MAC/1.7/Build 537) , same behavior on Ubuntu build

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Roon Core, connected to Switch, then to router. Sonos via WiFi
Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Sonos One (grouped via sonos in one Stereo Room, several Standalone)

Description Of Issue

When I want to do native Roon to SONOS, selecting via Roon UI the Stereo room + one or more Standalone rooms, Playback to stereo-room falls to mono (just one speaker working), all other rooms stay quiet.
UI (via Ipad/Iphone/App on Core) displays playback in all rooms in contrast to reality

Moving to Roon via Airplay to the Sonos, playback works flawlessly, but thats not why i subscribed to Roon in the first place, that could be achieved without Roon.

Is there any tweaks i am missing or is that “works as designed”?

@support

Hi,

new to Roon (and Sonos, which was a result of going down the Roon path):

I have a Stereo Pair and some Stand-Alone Ones and am able to group them both “via Sonos Streaming” and “via Airplay”.

Issue seen is that having the Group “via Sonos” is having issues depending on which Room played first:
When Stereo Play was playing and I add Standalone, the Standalone is not playing (but UI displaying it is)
When starting with Standalone, adding Stereo-Room into the group, only one of the devices is playing.

When doing “Roon over Airplay”, everything works as expected. But thats not what I want, I could do that natively with my iPhone.

Q: is this expected behavior or am i missing some important setting?

Hi Oliver
I occasionally find my groupings become confused between Room and Sonos?
IAM currently listening to some Tidal albums and turned the grouping off in Sonos as I was changing them.
I then group them in Room and all is good.
Try this and see if it helps

Mike

From the Knowledge Base: Roon understands Sonos stereo pairs and will only play to the master device in each pair. However, it’s not currently possible to add or remove devices from stereo pairs through Roon.

Unless I’ve misunderstood you should use Roon to group the zones not the Sonos app.

nope thats not fixing it

u got me wrong…
when doing Sonos direct (via Roon), i cant group 1 existing stereo pair with a standalone… only via airplay i get sound.
(damn auto correction :smiley: )

Hi @Oliver_Kupke, I’ve moved your posts here so as to have one thread for support to handle - it’s easier for them that way.

1 Like

Hi @Oliver_Kupke,

Can you share some screenshots of Device Setup for these devices in Roon as well as some screenshots of the settings from the Sonos app?

Thanks!

:wink: all default…
we can do a webex/zoom/ssh session or you can point me to the logs you need
Cheers,

Olli

Hi @Oliver_Kupke,

If you try grouping the devices via the Sonos app and start playback only after grouping them via the Sonos app, does playback work as expected for all your zones?

need to give that a try… will get back

Nope, not working… even when i group them upfront in sonos, i am not able to play to one Stereo-pair and one standalone simultaneously…again, UI states differently

Hi @Oliver_Kupke,

Can you please reproduce this issue and let me know the exact local time + date + track it next occurs on? I wonder if diagnostics will reveal further clues and I can enable diagnostics mode for your Core once I have this timestamp.

Ok, just did a test again… 14:14 local time (today, May 2nd) onwards…
2 Mono Rooms: no issues at all
1Mono+ 1 Stereo room : no playback, despite of ui showing differently
2 Mono + 1 Stereo : no playback , roon ui message: roon core lost control of device

seems there is something a bit “unexpected behavior”

btw: it not happens randomly but EVERY time i group a stereo paired room with a mono room…

Hi @Oliver_Kupke,

Thanks for letting me know the timestamp and the additional info. I have gone ahead and activated diagnostics mode for your Core and what this action does is automatically upload a log set to our servers for analysis. I can confirm that this log report has been received and I have requested the technical team to review it, once that’s complete I or another staff member will reach out. Thanks!

Hi, any update on this? For me that’s basically a roadblock (and also the lack of follow-up on a case by a paying subscriber does puzzle me - working in SaaS / IT world and not used to that radio silence)

/ok

Hi @Oliver_Kupke,

I see that your ticket is still pending review by QA at this time. I have just requested a status update from them and as soon as I have further info I’ll reach out once more, appreciate your patience as this request makes it’s way through the queue!

Hi @Oliver_Kupke,

I spoke to QA today regarding your case and it looks like the previous logs we gathered don’t contain enough info regarding this issue. As a follow-up, we have enabled some more advanced logging for your Core which focuses on Sonos communication in particular.

Can I please ask that you reproduce the issue once more, note the exact local time + date + track as you did so previously and then manually send me a copy of your Roon Core logs by using these instructions?

Manual logs are preferable here since the Sonos traces can be a bit verbose, but if you have any issues getting the manual logs over to me, just let me know and I can clarify, thanks!