Sonos - "Roon lost control of the audio device" after Sonos Update [Resolved: Update Sonos Firmware]

Roon Core Machine

Apple M1 Macbook Pro / 8 GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Google Mesh Network / No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos / Play:5 / Play One

Number of Tracks in Library

less than 10,000 titles

Description of Issue

Since updating to the latest macOS (RoonCore) and the latest iOS and iPadOS version (RoonRemote), RoonCore cannot establish a Sonos streaming connection to some Sonos products. Before this worked without problems.

The connection via Airplay works.

3 Likes

Experiencing the same issue starting today. Sonos streaming does not work suddenly. It affects all, but a Sonos One… My Sonos Port, and Sonos One SL models are not working. I get a “Roon lost control of the audio device.” They still work when Roon streams via airplay.

No issues with Sonos streaming outside of Roon. Tried rebooting Roon and all speakers as well.

2 Likes

I got the same error message “Roon lost control of the audio device” today and switched to AirPlay protocol.

Affected devices:

• Sonos One SL (wired)
  • IKEA Symfonisk (with Sonos technology - wired)
2 Likes

Same problem here. I get a “Roon lost control of the audio device” when streaming to Sonos One.

No issues with Sonos streaming outside of Roon. No issues streaming Roon to non-Sonos devices.

1 Like

The same problem started for me today as well:

• streaming to Sonos devices via Sonos streaming stops after a few seconds with the message “Roon lost control of the audio device”. No music plays, the progress bar moves one second ahead and then gets stuck there

• Airplay to Sonos works fine

The issue seems to have started for me when I updated my Sonos devices earlier today with a new Sonos software version.

2 Likes

Thanks for noting the Sonos update. Looks like Sonos 15.2 update was released on 3/27. I checked my system and it looks like it moved to this update and since doing so broke Roon compatibility with Sonos.
Hopefully Roon will issue a quick fix.

3 Likes

Same problem here. I get a “Roon lost control of the audio device” when streaming to Sonos One.

1 Like

Thanks for the warning - I’ve just turned off auto update on my Sonos and will wait for a fix

1 Like

Interestingly, the old Play:3, a pair of play:1 and my playbar still work via Sonos streaming. At the same time there was also an update at Apple and I thought it would be due to this update.

1 Like

Many of my Sonos speakers are hardwired, but are no longer working since the update. I actually have one Sonos One that still works and that one is connected via wifi.

1 Like

After verifying on each device, I am also seeing mixed results.

Affected Products:

One SL, WM: 1, Wi-Fi
SYMFONISK Picture Frame, WM: 1, Wi-Fi
Port, WM: 0, Ethernet

Working Products:

Amp, WM: 0, Ethernet
Sub Mini, WM: 0, Ethernet
Era 100, WM: 1, Wi-Fi
Beam (Gen 2), WM: 1, Wi-Fi

1 Like

Sonos S2 devices without AirPlay have fallen off the Roon audio zone menu after Roon updated to v2.0 build 1234.

No amount of rebooting, devices, routers, roon will fix the issue, for me. Reading leads me to believe this is a Roon server issue.

Is there a Roon ticket for this issue?

4 Likes

Hi All,

Thanks for the reports here. We’ve enabled diagnostics mode for those impacted, but we are not seeing any specific errors yet. For those impacted, can you please:

• Reproduce the issue once more
  • Let us know the exact local time + date + track you attempted to play
  • Let us know the speaker model you tried the test with

We’ll then take another look at your diagnostics once we have the above info, thanks!

2 Likes

12:23p Eastern Time, 30 Mar 2023
Sonos Port
“Back Home Again,” John Denver

I have the same issue for any media played. Roon loses control of the device. Sonos AirPlay works. My Roon core on a MiniMac M1, using Roon Server.

18:53 CET, 30.3.2023
Play:One

1 Like

18:50 CET , 30.3.2023
Play:5

1 Like

Please add me to the list of affected users.

1 Like

11:58am Pacific Time (GMT -8), 30 Mar 2023
Sonos One
“Hot Rails to Hell,” Blue Oyster Cult

1 Like

30.03.2023 21:50 h
Sonos One SL

2 Likes