Sonos Speakers not located on Network

Thanks Dylan, is there a native Roon package I can install rather than in a Docker container?

Answered my own question here.

Found the link;

Will give that a go and report back.

OK so I installed a new core as a package on my NAS as per the link instructions.
It works fine, and I can connect to it, but alas, again no network devices show up :frowning:
(sadly as I was quite hopeful it was just going to be a docker issue and I could just use the package version instead!)

Thanks for giving that a try, @Josh_H.

Can you try removing the Virtual Machine Manager and disabling Open vSwitch? As mentioned by @RBM above, this can interfere with SONOS and other device connectivity, so that is likely what is at play here.

Thanks,
Dylan

That isn’t an easy option sadly.
I run a continuous integration server for work using VMM so I cannot easily uninstall that component without spending a long time backing up the restoring servers and VMM configurations etc.

Let’s talk through the options - if that was to work, then what would be the next step?
If it didn’t work, what would be the next step?

It seems to me that for vSwitch to interfere it would have to either block ports or drop packets, both of which we should be able to test from the CLI on the NAS?

Hey @dylan, any further thoughts here?

I’m going to have some time over the xmas break to take my VM down and disable Open vSwitch, but I’m not sure what the next steps are likely to be if that resolves the issue…

Cheers,
Josh

Hey @Josh_H,

We’ve seen in other reports that disabling Open vSwitch will resolve issues similar to what you’re reporting. We have a ticket open with our technical team to investigate this behavior, but I can’t guarantee any specific changes or timeframes at this time.

When you’re able to, I definitely recommend disabling this when you have a chance and let me know how things go are working for you after.

Thanks!
Dylan

Thanks @dylan,

I can verify if that resolves the issue, but I will need to reactivate the VM so that won’t be a long term solution for me. Hopefully that can bump the support ticket :slight_smile: though appreciate it’s probably not high on the priority list.

I’ll keep you posted.

Cheers,
Josh

It’s ROON problem I think. Because the synology AUDIO station works fine with airplay1 and airplay2 devices whether the VM on or off. only ROON can’t see any SONOS or Airplay.

I also test the SONOS controller under synology VMM. No problem at all to find SONOS speakers and play good in SONOS controller@WIN7 VM . My synology 918+ use open vswitch and virtual 10g NIC connection.
The SONOS and AIRPLAY devices can’t visible only in ROON CORE (synology SPK).

NO ANY PROBLEM IF YOU RUN ROCK UNDER SYNOLOGY VMM, BUT NOT OK WITH SPK. It seems roonlabs not running the enough synology version tests. When you install ROON spk in synology, there are many problems, such like sonos and airplay not discovered problem and SMB version problem of network share folder (although, it can’t be solved if you use ROCK in synology VMM, still need additional SMB 1.0 installed in Win7 and Win10) , …It is better running ROCK under VMM.

1 Like

Thanks for your testing and insights!
I run ROON as a Docker Container, thought I also tried it as an SPK package with the same results.

I hadn’t thought about running ROCK as a VM though, but that makes sense. I will give that a try too!

You can see result in my topic at:

This is still not ideal since running ROCK as a VM now requires dedicated VM resources (CPU cores and RAM), using Docker or an SPK is much more efficient as Roon will just use shared resources.
I still wish Roon would fix the underlying network discovery issue, but this is a good workaround.

The ROCK is much better than ROON SPK core currently. That’s the one way to make everything working worth for paid ROON users who want deploy ROON in synology or VM environment. The CPU is not high after analyzing the music library. For me, If using streaming DAC not roon software DSP to upsampling to DSD512, there is no major resource cost. You can run VMM ROCK with 2GB memory. You can use multi network cards to let the ROCK working on different VLANs. That’s very important for me. Becasue I deploy the streaming DAC, Homepod and SONOS in the same VLAN, but I still want music hardware to be controlled when my PC or iPhone is working in another policy routing defined VLAN. Anyway, the ROCK is more controllable than other ROON distribution.

1 Like

In case anyone else stumbles upon this thread.
I wrote a guide to install ROCK on Synology as a VM from the official installer as a workaround;

It works great. All my network devices working properly!