Sonos system disappearing/zones missing

Thank you @Michael_Harris! Appreciate your feedback very much.

1 Like

Some good news here - all my Sonos end points have now been up and stable for 5 days.

There was, I think, a software update somewhere in this but the biggest change at my side was to change my BT Home Hub 2 router for a Draytek 2866 router and the removal of a 5 port TP link switch. There were also some changes to the IP allocation, with the fixing of the IP addresses for my Unify AP’s, fixing the IP of the Roon Core, connecting the Roon Core direct to the router rather than via the switch, changing some network cables, and changing the IP pool start range.

I have no idea which if these made any difference!

4 Likes

Roon Core Machine

ROCK on NUC Barebone BKNUC8V5PNH Core i5-8365U 16GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Netgear R6850
NUC connected via ethernet RJ45
All Sonos Devices WIFI

Connected Audio Devices

1 Sonos Port
1 Sonos Move
1 Pair Sonos One
1 Sonos Play 1 Gen 2
All connected via Wifi

Number of Tracks in Library

27’00’ tracks

Description of Issue

Connection to Sonos devices get regularly lost. To get it back I need to reboot ROCK.

I have moved your post here as it is a known issue that is being worked upon actively

1 Like

Jean-Claude just for refence you can just restart the Roon service in the Rock Web console.
Not a massive difference but it does mean that it does start a little quicker.

Thanks for the advice.

Having just rebooted mine again a bit earlier, I think it is worth sharing anything that offers a little bit of help until Roon can get to the bottom of it.

Just popping back here to say all the end points are still up and running, including the new hifi berry.

Unfortunately I can’t tell what made the difference, since the support team here are patchy to say the least and haven’t been seen on this thread for 3 weeks except to add another sufferer to the list.

I think for a paid product like Roon, there should be some sort of formal ticketing and support, not just reliance on the community.

2 Likes

Martin congratulations to you and your long uptime.
I had a year when it all worked perfectly fine until a few months ago.
I think it is a combination of Roon and Sonos changes but you are correct that Roon are way to tight lipped about the problems.
Frustrating it is to have to restart Roon 3 to 4 time’s a day when at home all day.

Sorry you are still having issues, Michael.

The response from @support is disappointing. The problem has, for me at least, gone for the time being but since it’s not clear why, it could return.

1 Like

Martin no problem at all , I think I will put my Sonos back on Ethernet, which is where it was for years with no issue. Moving it to WiFi fixed it for a year, after it broke somewhere between a Sonos update and a Roon beta that came out within a day of each other.

To be fair to Roon, Sonos seems to ignore the fact that Roon exists and I do not think that Roon uses any Sonos tools. I think they have reverse engineered their protocol (but I am not sure about that TBH).
I have no issue with Support here as it requires the Roon developers take it seriously and support just take the downside for this. I shared my logs throughout the beta and subsequent issues and all I got back via the developers is this could not be replicated in house, you can imagine what happened when it was released live.

At least I am in position where I understand what impact changes have and at the moment if I reboot it is back up and running in a few minutes.

Hi @Martin_Smith ,

Glad to hear that your Sonos devices continue to remain stable, if this changes, please do let us know. @Michael_Harris - It sounds like you are still able to reproduce some issues in this area, so I have followed up via the existing private message thread where we can do some more in-depth troubleshooting.

1 Like

Still all OK here. I would be good to know why - I suspect but can’t be sure that it was the change of router from the BT Home Hub to a Draytek

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.