Sony player with Vinyl Processor 🤣

The $7,600 DMP-Z1 Digital Music Player Signature Series:

Give every track the sound of vinyl with Vinyl Processor

Get lost again in the richness of the melodies and dynamics of your favorite albums by giving back the character of vinyl to your digital tracks. Subtle reproduction of low-frequency tone-arm resonance, surface and scratch noise, and resonance on the vinyl deliver an authentic listening experience.

:rofl:

I’ll wait for the Roon DSP filter. :grin:

I will admit though… that volume knob is one of the best I’ve seen. You should track down the video of the Sony rep talking about its design.

I have the “not yet available in US” NW-A55 Walkman DAP with the same DSP. Surprisingly, I like the sound of the vinyl DSP, despite listening to a LOT of real vinyl at the same time.

2 Likes

For an extra $500, can I get the tape hiss module?

Maybe a late April fool?

Lol. Then you can run the output through one of these to remove the effect…

http://www.sweetvinyl.com

“Audio upscaling is improved even further by our new DSEE HXTM processor which intelligently recognises instruments, voices and musical genres. By identifying these and the relative energy of the audio, it can accurately rebuild audio lost during digital compression, for a full fidelity experience, even with compressed formats.“

For £8000 you can buy a heck of a lot of Bull manure, but possibly not as much as is contained in the above marketing statement!

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so quick on laughing without having some info on the topic first.

You can read some info about how this works, here: https://www.sony.jp/feature/products/vinyl/

Use the “Translate to English” feature of Google Chrome.

I’ve read it. Now can I laugh?

2 Likes

You may laugh, for sure. Essentially the article is stating, that music can sound more pleasing, when masked by noise ( sorry for oversimplifying it).

While my electronic engineering heart rejects : my personal, private, emotional heart responds : Yes. I can most surely relate to that !

1 Like

That is funny. Very careful analysis and emulation, but the effect is not encouraging.

I would be interested in hearing it, except not $8,500 worth of hearing.

Has anybody listened to it?

I agree about the $8500 price tag for that device, but I don’t encourage just “laughing” about something which you didn’t even try (talking in general about people who do this).

The effect should be available in all players that use their Linux based OS, that is also used on the DMP-Z1. I know for sure that it’s available in the NW-WM1Z, NW-WM1A, NW-ZX300, NW-A35, NW-A45, NW-A55, and probably others as well.

What the effect does is mostly giving some warmth and body to the sound, making it less transparent. The result is a little more relaxed, laid back sound, with a more analogue flavor, which is more than welcomed by many.

Their players already sound more musical than just analytical, by the way.