Sort by geography

Assuming the metadata is available, would it be possible to have a way to sort by geography, both in terms of recording locations / studios and in terms of where artists were doing stuff ?

Let’s say, for example, that I like the New Kids on The Block, and want to hear everything that was produced both in Boston and by Boston artists in their formative years to understand where their greatness came from and how it radiated on their environment.

There’s no way to do that right now, other than focusing on studio personnel. So, would a focus by artist place of activity (which isn’t easy in many cases like, to stick to boy bands, The Rolling Stones, who, like their name implies, like to travel) / studio name / studio location ? And yeah, there’s the question of distance from a given location that makes things tricky, so it isn’t the easiest dimension.

This might also be of interest to classical music fans: what if I want to hear what was played at the Staatskapelle Berlin in the 40’s that isn’t Karajan ?

1 Like

I’m sure it’s possible. Not sure how probable it is :sunglasses:
Though even recording studio is problematic given a lot of albums are created in multiplications and bits added and mastered elsewhere.

1 Like

I guess it all depends if the metadata exists.

“Show me everything that was recorded at The Record Plant between 1967 and 1977” is one thing, “Show me everything that was recorded at The Record Plant and within 5 miles thereof between 1967 and 1977, and with staff from in and around Hull, GB” is probably… trickier.

I’m surprised the first doesn’t exist, the second, well…