SOtM SMS-1000SQ Eunhasu Native DSD to Gustard / LKS

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

SOtM SMS-1000SQ Eunhasu (Linux - Fedora) running Roon Core Server / Roon Version 1.6 (build 401) stable (64bit)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

TEXT GOES HERE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/ect.)

USB connection from SOtM SMS-1000SQ to Gustard U16 (to LKS MH-DA004 (DAC) via HDMI) or directly to LKS MH-DA004 (DAC) via USB

Description Of Issue

The SMS-1000SQ Eunhasu is running Roon Core. Roon does not appear to recognize either of the above audio devices. As such, I cannot play DSD natively to either the Gustard U16 (USB to I2S) or directly to the LKS MH-DA004 (DAC). This appears to be a Linux only issue as I can easily play up to DSD512 from a Windows 7 Pro laptop running Foobar2000 to either of the Gustard U16 or the LKS MH-DA004.

Fairly new to Linux so I’m looking for a place to start. Is it the responsibility of each of the audio device manufacturers to ensure that they are Linux compatible or does Roon play some part in first recognizing the audio device and allowing a native dsd setting to be selected?

The linux drivers need to be patched in to linux. Contact Sotm and ask if they support native dsd to your model Gustard.

See
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/eunhasu_-native-dsd-support/

From the linked page, it states that:

The following DAC have been updated and they are supporting native DSD playback with Eunhasu OS.

Amanero Combo384

The LKS MH-DA004 uses the Amanero Combo384 USB board. Does that mean Roon needs to change to allow a native DSD selection for Amanero Combo384 equipped audio devices? Or is there another audio device that you know that uses the Amanero Combo384 that I can select in place of selecting LKS MH-DA004 (which is not listed in Roon)? Currently, only DoP is permitted by Roon.

DSD support in Linux happens at the OS level, in your case the OS running on the SotM. It is there that support for native DSD needs to be patched per device. Which is why I mentioned contacting SotM directly.

Roon gets the audio device information from the OS and the device. Roon then presents the audio setup options based on what it received back from those device capabilities queries.

In the case of the SotM directly connected to the LKS via USB, I know that Amanero is on the list, but, I would still suggest contacting SotM directly and verify that your specific DAC will work. Keep in mind that the Amanero chipset has issues with Linux at Native DSD 512. Which is why in the SotM manual they list native DSD 512 for Windows. Bolded section mine:

The machine uses the Italian Amanero USB module, supports PCM and DSD decoding in USB access mode, PCM supports 44.1K ~ 384K various rate, DSD support DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512 (Windows).

In the case of the SotM to the Gustard to the LKS, in that case the SotM would need to have been patched with ES8620 Support (the Gustard’s USB chip) into their OS. Again, I would contact SotM to verify as I did not see it on the list I linked for you previously.

There had been an earlier thread on the Gustard, see:

Also, I would contact Gustard and see if their IIS pinouts work with the LKS. Reviewing the manuals, I noticed that the pinouts for the HDMI IIS connection are different. See clips from both manuals:

PNG LKS

For example, notice that on the LKS, the mode information DSD or PCM is on Pin 14 (red circle) while on the Gustard it is on Pin 15. I would contact both companies for clarification to see if this and the other differences pose an issue.

1 Like

I have sent SOtM a query with regard to the Gustard U16. I will have to follow up to verify the level of support for the Amanero USB board with regard to native DSD/Linux.

Gustard U16 works with LKS for native DSD (using Windows). Gustard U16 has several firmware versions available.

Just an FYI for future readers with regard to the Gustard U16 - it has a three-way pin jumper for selecting Pin 14, Pin 15, or Pin 16 for DSD (jumpers near the output at the back of the board - must open the case).

To sum up - Roon is just reporting what it receives from the Linux Kernel. So Roon will not make a native DSD option available until it is notified by the Linux OS. From what I know of Gustard, this may not happen anytime soon, if at all. Will pursue the SOtM Amanero board in the short term for native DSD playback with Linux.

USB detection in this respect is a function of SOtM and Gustard talking to each other, or at least going through this process. I have a feeling the HDMI out on the SOtM is audio-video as opposed to the i2S over HDMI input on the Gustard. You will need to confirm but I don’t think they are compatible.

Hi Henry,
The SOtM is connected to the Gustard U16 via USB to convert USB to HDMI (using the ESS chipset) to the DAC. The HDMI port on the SOtM is for a display (for troubleshooting, etc.) and not for audio out.

OK, my mistake with regards to HDMI.

For those following along, there is an update to the firmware for the Amanero Combo384 USB board found in the LKS MH-DA004 DAC.

New Amanero firmware 2006be10 and CPLD_1081_DSDSWAPPED available for DSD playback. I can confirm that the Amanero board now works with Linux and Roon for native DSD512.

Some have reported popping when switching between PCM and DSD with this firmware.

Firmware:
https://amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

Discussion on GitHub (scroll to bottom):
https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/issues/12

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.