Sound Drops and Losing connection to core requiring restart

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

QNAP TS-251A
Celeron CPU N3060 @1.60GHz
8GB RAM
Firmware 4.3.6.0979 Build 20190620

Roon Version: 1.6 (build 416)
QPKG : 2019-06-09

Roonserver is running on SanDisk SDCZ880-128G-G46 Extreme PRO 128GB USB 3.1

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Netgear 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, GS316
Netgear Orbi RBK50 Router
Netgear Orbi RBS50 Satellites (Qty 2)

QNAP and all Orbis hardwired to switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Apple Airport Express A1392 - Connected via wifi - Firmware 7.8 (78999.12)

Description Of Issue

I’m two days away from my subscription starting, so I’d love to find solutions for these issues because when Roon is running, I see the potential.

I have two issues, not sure if that requires two threads.

First is the sound drops out completely. Tracks appear to continue to play and will come back 30-45 seconds later. Other times, the track will stop and I’ll have to press play again.

I have very good wifi coverage with the 3 Orbis and have no streaming issues if I use Airplay for other software.

The second issue is that my remote (iPhone X) loses connection to the core. Other remote devices appear to have the same issue once connection is lost. The only resolution I’ve found it to restart my NAS.

Should I post the log file?

Thanks,
C

Hi @Chris_Rowe,

The first thing I notice here is that your Core doesn’t quite meet our recommendations. When using a Core that doesn’t meet our requirements it’s definitely possible to experience dropouts like your seeing.

It’s hard to say for sure if that’s what you’re experiencing here just yet as there are other possibilities, but know that we generally recommend your Core meets the requirements in the linked article as you’ll be more likely to experience these kinds of issues.

As a test, if you have another machine that you can temporarily use as your Core machine, do you experience the same issues with playback when connected to the network the same way?

Regarding the Roon remote connection issue, we recommend unchecking Disable IGMP Proxying in your router’s settings. This setting can interfere with the ability for Roon Remotes to connect to the Roon Core. Is there any change after doing this?

1 Like

Regarding IGMP Proxying. Once enabled, do I want Auto, V3 or V2?

Hi @Chris_Rowe,

I would give Auto a try to see if it helps, but I would be more inclined to take a look at @dylan’s initial suggestion that mentions that your QNAP Core does not meet our Minimum Requirements. I would start off by trying to run the Roon Core on a properly spec’d Core and see if the same behavior occurs, even before taking a look at IGMP Proxying settings.

If things are stable with a properly spec’d Core, we have found the culprit in the setup. If the same behavior still occurs, we can take a closer look at the network setup and try the additional IGMP suggestions. Can you please let me know if the same issue occurs when running the Roon Core on another machine that meets our minimum requirements?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.