Sound issues in particular parts of songs [Resolved]

I’ve noticed clicks/crackle in some moments of particular tracks which were not audible while using Auralic’s Lightning DS software in the same audio setup. There is also a possibility that there were some other differences in sound quality which were not so easy to notice.
Crackle is not appearing in random moments but in particular parts of particular tracks (and everything is fine when those tracks are played with Lightning DS software with the same Auralic player, the same DAC and the same amp).

My setup: iMac 5K late 2015 (MacOS 10.12) plus external HDD drive where music is stored.
Roon is streaming audio from iMac to Auralic Aries (femto clocks version) through local wifi network. Auralic Aries is connected with USB cable to Aune S16 DAC.
Roon app version: 1.3 (build 196). DSP presets in device settings turned off. I’ve checked various settings in „Audio” section of Roon (DSD to PCM) - without any changes.
All of my tracks are FLAC files ripped by me from my audio CDs - stereo (downmix is not needed), 44.1kHz 16bit.

Hi @Wojciech_Kostoglu ----- Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles here. I’d like to see if I can reproduce this behavior on my end and would kindly like you to ask you to please provide the following:

1. A screen shot of signal path when you are noticing the clicks/crackle during playback.

2. A screen shot of your audio settings in Roon.

3. Can you provide me with a sample of media (1 track) that you are noticing this issue with via a dropbox link in a PM addressed to me? If you are not a dropbox user, no worries, just let me know and I will provide an alternate delivery method.

-Eric

1/2) Sure, no problem.
3) Crackle is appearing at the beginning of the chorus („hello from the other (from here) side…”). I’ve used wetransfer - you should already have a confirmation mail from them with the link.

Hi @Wojciech_Kostoglu — Thank you for the follow up and taking the time to answer my questions. Two things…

1. In regard to the screenshot of the signal path coming out Roon, you will want to click the little light you to the left of the track info being displayed. Should look like this:

2. Can you verify where the WeTransfer link was sent as I am not seeing any notification in my inbox. However, I can provide a direct upload solution to you and will be contacting you via PM with that information momentarily.

-Eric

Like I wrote in PM - it looks like Roon switched RAAT to AirPlay in my configuration. I’ve noticed that using AirPlay in Roon with Auralic Aries (or just with my version of Aries - with femto clocks) causes sound issues in my setup - but turning on RAAT resolved this problem.

1 Like